Fake shredders? Did you know this is a thing?

CanserDYI

Which he didn't.

@CanserDYI You put a lot of effort in this. I wonder why. And I don't get how you can think it's ok to basically not play stuff but clearly pretend you play that stuff.

Do you think it's legit if an actor gets praise (and further employment) for his amazing stunts, when he actually doesn't do them himself and it's all stuntmen and cgi?

"Yeah, the movies are brushed up a little, but I saw him jump off a park bench and riding a pony at the county fair once."

As for liking the music: Yeah, no problem with that. Or to put in the style of @Dasein : It's one thing to have/like fake boobies, but it's another thing to pretend they're real.
Meh. I'm over this convo. listen or don't listen.

GreatSatan

I don't think i've ever liked fast 'shred' playing.
Is it impressive for a short fast solo? Sure.
Bit too hair metal for my tastes however.

MR.K

Shawn could do it tastefully, with emotion, and still throw in devastatingly fast, musical runs. This is one of my favorites of his (and in general), and the only 'trick' is he doubled tracked it and they were panned. Which makes it even more impressive. Starts at around 2:15.

Shawn played all the instruments.

DS007

Holy Moly! Give this hot garbage cake a listen. Evidently he wasn't content just manipulating his guitar in post....he decided to have a go at vocals too. This 'song' should be a demo for the outboard gear used to create it, rather than some kind of testament to this guys ability.

Cringe level high....

Looks like he hasn't found the technical trick that can write an imaginative and memorable main riff, lol

McShred

Was searching for live videos of Charles....stumbled across this play through gem. Someone should tell them that if you're gonna do a live playthrough, you should at least plug in first.

This is Rings of Saturn....at what is purported to be a live concert....but you can hear the triggered drums. There is a BK vocal track as well, which begs the question...if you're running fake drums and fake vocals, is it out of the realm of possibility that you might run fake guitars too?. I don't know how anyone can watch this and pretend that they are hearing a live band.

McShred

Rings of Saturn..... 100% running guitar tracks live.

@CanserDYI

Watch carefully starting at 3:45...both guitar players are down in the first position, djenting away...yet miraculously, someone is tapping out arpeggios while both their hands are still in first position.

CanserDYI

Rings of Saturn..... 100% running guitar tracks live.

@CanserDYI

Watch carefully starting at 3:45...both guitar players are down in the first position, djenting away...yet miraculously, someone is tapping out arpeggios while both their hands are still in first position.

Man you are really into this aren't you. Wicked man. Have fun, I'll start worshipping Van Halen like i'm supposed to be. I'm so sorry for enjoying an obviously inferior music style. You seriously showed me the light man, thank you so much.

olejason

....but you can hear the triggered drums. ...if you're running fake drums
Triggered drums are not 'fake' though. While I would agree that using triggers so you can do gravity blasts is kinda cheating the notes are still being played, just not at the dynamic you're hearing from the trigger. Regardless, triggered drum sounds are a mainstay in the metal world mainly for consistency of sound. Some guys definitely don't sound the same without them but many do.

No comment on anything else in that video, not a fan.

Dasein

Man you are really into this aren't you. Wicked man. Have fun, I'll start worshipping Van Halen like i'm supposed to be. I'm so sorry for enjoying an obviously inferior music style. You seriously showed me the light man, thank you so much.
Hey -- you don't get to do that -- YOU KEPT arguing about their live chops as definitive proof of their ability -- you got that turned back on you --- you don't get to be all butt hurt -- you say - "Oh - well I guess I might have been wrong, and my arguments in this thread have been off the mark - BUT I still enjoy the music though I won't get all tied up into the myth of live execution being needed to legitimize it...."

McShred

Its nothing personal man, not an attack on you, and I've said nothing about whether I like the music or not. You said over and over that these guys don't use tracks, they are 100% live, they play everything, etc... I just showed you video of them using guitar tracks live. That's it, no need to get all sarcastic, just admit you were wrong.

teefus

lindsay buckingham has been doing it for years on Fleetwood Mac and his own solo recordings. he always made it sound good.

McShred

Triggered drums are not 'fake' though. While I would agree that using triggers so you can do gravity blasts is kinda cheating the notes are still being played, just not at the dynamic you're hearing from the trigger. Regardless, triggered drum sounds are a mainstay in the metal world mainly for consistency of sound. Some guys definitely don't sound the same without them but many do.

No comment on anything else in that video, not a fan.
TBH, the blast beats I heard on that 'live' recording were canned. I think its extremely likely that the drummer is playing along to a click and his live drums are being augmented by additional tracks. just like what the guitar players are doing with their leads...and also the bass player.. at least they don't have a guy up there pretending he's paying the bass, which is clearly on tracks. People don't fake like Milli Vanilli anymore, too easy to get caught. All these guys can really play, but not at the level they are pretending. You take a 'B' grade guitar player and soup him up with backing tracks and to the inexperienced he sounds like Shawn Lane. If the track goes down, the show can go on, but the surgical precision is lost. Without the canned tracks, these guys would sound pretty damn sloppy.

Listen to the kick drum at 10:38-10:40 definitely canned drums. Nobody is playing that on a 4pc kit. Shoot, Mike Mangini couldn't play that fast :)

olejason

Listen to the kick drum at 10:38-10:40 definitely canned drums. Nobody is playing that on a 4pc kit. Shoot, Mike Mangini couldn't play that fast :)
haha I don't know, check out some George Kollias! It is definitely possible w/ a normal double kick pedal. The video does sound weird, I've found a lot of those types of metal bands use a ton of backing tracks live. Most of that stuff is tracked riff by riff in the studio to begin with, it's really inorganic but that is also the sound.

Trending Topics