Fake SM58s - what to do with them?

Doug's Tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
You can always take the fake with you to social functions and when you make a profound statement, slam it on the floor.

Muzbomb

Having also been sold a fake mic - a fake Beta 58 I can vouch for the accuracy of the copy. At the time the give away was that it didn't sound very good, but I could easily prove it was a fake because the weight wasn't right - photo evidence of the mic on the scales to PayPal got me a refund with no quibbles. The counterfeiters might have changed this since I got mine, but it was a quick and easy way of establishing that it wasn't the real thing.

cj18

Having also been sold a fake mic - a fake Beta 58 I can vouch for the accuracy of the copy. At the time the give away was that it didn't sound very good, but I could easily prove it was a fake because the weight wasn't right - photo evidence of the mic on the scales to PayPal got me a refund with no quibbles. The counterfeiters might have changed this since I got mine, but it was a quick and easy way of establishing that it wasn't the real thing.
The weight is the same on the ones that I got, so they have fixed that. Along with the thickness and colour of the wires, using a bigger capsule, and many of the manual and packaging issues.

There are still differences are on the packaging -- green stripes where white ones should be, and vice versa -- but you need the real packaging to compare.

Aside from that, the handles are a slightly different colour (if you happen to have a genuine one on hand to compare), there is the 'sticker of doom' underneath the grill that tells you not to open it, and the main difference - it doesn't have the shock absorption inside

pipelineaudio

The only difference between a "real" and a "fake" product, when they are all manufactured by the same [cannot say the truth here because TGP mods ban any truth about these particular organizations] is what you pay them to paint or stamp on it.

Its hillarious to watch the guys go nutty on this FRFR vs that one and they're often EXACTLY the same product

bon ton

Silver Supporting Member
I got sent some fake SM58s the other day. I got my refund very quickly, so no issues there.

What I was wondering is whether these mics are good for anything.
Absolutely they're good for something.
Put them in a pillowcase and beat the living crap outta the guy that sold them to you.

sws1

The only difference between a "real" and a "fake" product, when they are all manufactured by the same [cannot say the truth here because TGP mods ban any truth about these particular organizations] is what you pay them to paint or stamp on it.

THAT, and the internal feeling that you are supporting a group of thieves. For some, that's a big thing.

pipelineaudio

Its a big thing alright, but I usually get busted when I bring that up, and usually these ones (especially in the hilarious FRFR situation) are really arguing about the alleged sound differences

Top Bottom