Fake Sperzels?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stratoskier, Jan 31, 2012.

1. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

I have been putting Sperzel tuners on most of my guitars for years. Usually I buy new ones, but I recently bought a used set in an auction. After receiving them, I’m wondering if they’re authentic. Here are the differences I see:

1) They do NOT have “USA” over the "Sperzel" engraved on the back. Also the “Sperzel” is etched thinner and not engraved as deeply as on my other sets
    2) The thumbwheel is smaller (13.43 mm or .525”) as compared to my other sets (15.6mm or 0.62”). The thumbwheel is about the same diameter as the tuner housing.
    3) I don’t have 3 pairs of differing heights, but that could be because this is a mixed set. There is only one of the longest ones and 3 medium ones. The mediums and shorts are all pretty close to the same height.
    4) One of the thumbwheels has a 5 point star with a couple of concentric rings around it, rather than the center black dot as on my other sets

I didn't pay a lot for these, but now I’m wondering if they’re either fake or perhaps just some very old ones. Either way, I expect I’ll always buy new ones in the future.

Any observations are appreciated.

2. ef_in_fla

ef_in_fla Member

Send some good close-up photos to Sperzel. I think they'd be very interested if in fact they are fake.

3. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

This is correct. Companies LOVE to see knockoffs of they're product. Imitation is the best form of flattery. The pix will bounce around The office pretty quick Im sure.

4. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

I sent them an email awhile ago with the same description I gave here, but that's a good idea to also send photos. For the record, have you guys ever seen any Sperzels that didn't have "USA" engraved on them? All of my other ones have that.

5. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

Here are a few pics:

Questionable one compared to certain one (mounted). Notice lack of "USA" and weaker etching, plus smaller button on the right one.
    [​IMG]

Closeup of questionable ones. Only one has the star pattern.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. b2sc

b2sc Member

I see the mounted one w/USA has the logo cast or stamped and it appears the other one is simply engraved w/an engravers tool. Are all the logos exactly the same on the new set?

7. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

8. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

They are not fake just old. That is how they used to look.

9. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

When exactly did they look like that?

10. Fitzer

Fitzer Member

They seem legit. Not sure why someone would go through that much trouble to make a set of fake Sperzels.

11. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Late 80s

12. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

Eagle1 -- you know way too much about guitar hardware!

Good to know that they're legit. I think the first set of Sperzels I bought must have been in the early 90s and they didn't look like these. I guess there's not much I can do about the trem post height oddities, but I can work with that.

Thanks for all the input, folks!

13. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

14. GMGM

GMGM Member

Yep, I have a few guitars with these also. One of them is all polished chrome too (which I don't think they make anymore).

Watch out though, because the thumb-wheel can spin all the way off, and you can very easily lose the pin that locks the string down (such a pain to locate replacement parts). I'm not sure if newer versions fixed that problem or not, but I'd consider replacing all my sets if they did.

15. varjao

varjao Member

Sorry to dig up this old thread but I bought a set of Sperzels on ebay and I have some questions about the legitimacy of this product.

The dealer seems to be ok, has a good rating, but the box with the tuners was not sealed and what took my attention really is that only one of the 6 tuners have the letter Z complete, with those "legs" let's put this way, the others have just one "leg" the one who goes down, it doesn't complete the way back, it's kind of weird to explain because I'm not an English native speaker.

I don't know if this is hand crafted or a machine process...any way, I appreciate your thoughts.

Here are some pics, the first picture is the one who I think is ok, it was what I expect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

They are real , the name stamp has always been hit and miss . sometimes it has a second ghost where it bounced and hit twice.

17. varjao

varjao Member

Thanks man.

18. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I don't recall seeing that crude looking engraving on them before. My first set - late 80's or early 90's - had a very thin and even sharp wheel edge, but I don't recall the star or crude engraving.

19. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I think they still come with a warning of that. I fairly recently accidentally backed a wheel off and thought 'oh no', but after patiently trying, managed to get it together and functioning again.

20. scolfax

scolfax Member

Same reasons they'd make a fake Epiphone.