falling back in love with my parker

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by david(j), Jan 17, 2015.

1. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

pickups have been an obstacle with my parker nitefly m. it's always lacked character, and due to its construction, finding the right pickups has been difficult.

i told myself - one more try and if that doesn't work, then you can think about selling it.

well, one evo 2 and one gravity storm neck model later, and this thing is more fun to play than ever. i have a hard time putting it down. it's always been a fun guitar to play physically, and it's uniqueness in feel, looks, construction, etc. i've always found appealing, but the sounds were never really inspiring. they really didn't have any character, or (depending on what pickups i tried) it sounded like the electronics were fighting the build materials of the instrument.

i haven't heard to much about either of these pickups - there isn't a ton of info compared to a lot of other dimarzios. i did a NPD thread on them, and i don't want to rehash the same stuff, but guys - these pickups are killer.

i'm going to try to do some clips in the next couple of weeks with the hope of capturing some of the tones that they are capable of...particularly the gravity storm.

i want more guitars with gravity storms now.

i had almost given up on the nitefly, but i'm super glad that i gave these a shot. i've had a lot of trial and error with it, but it's back to the top of the pack now.

2. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Careful; Niteflys can be "gateway guitars" to full-on Flys! (Guess how I know that).

3. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

Did you do any pickup swaps on your parkers?

4. mrfett

mrfett Member

That's awesome you got it dialed in! I had a tough time with mine too, which is a HSS. Went with 2 Areas (58 & 67) and a SD JB. Mine is mahogany.

I'd be careful extrapolating your finding to other guitars though. IMO pickups amplify what the guitar is doing, and the Nitefly is a strange beast construction-wise. You might find those pickups in another guitar will amplify frequencies and harmonics that don't sound good to your ear. Or you might like them even better, who knows!