Familiar with Anderson H3+ humbucker?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Darth Tater, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

If so, what other humbuckers are similar? I currently have the H3+ in my Zion with Anderson SD stacked single coils and while I LOVE the H3 I'm not so sure about the SD's. I'm thinking of either the stock Zion/Lawrence noiseless single coils (which are phenomenal) back in or maybe DiMarzio Virtual Vintage or something.

So why yank the H3+ also? I don't know. I guess I'll never stop tweaking! I love the pickup, it sounds like no other humbucker I've ever played...it has a very smooth midrange with no icepick. It has a very 'Ty Tabor' sound and actually nails the ZZ Top 'Eliminator' sound. I guess I'm just curious as to what might be similar, especially in a DiMarzio (Breed??)...if I get the Virtuals they will at least match. Plus I guess if I do yank the SD's I could sell the whole set for a little more but that's not a major concern. I guess it just boils down to being a constant tweeker :)

2. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Im in the same boat, Its always curiosity that gets me. Id love to put an H3+ and an H3 in my horizon. Theyre so expensive though. What amps are you using. I mostly use mesa anbd apparently theyre designed around the H3+.

3. Darth Tater

I have a Soldano Decatone amp which really brings out the harmonics of these pickups!

Watch out for the pickups on Ebay, my H3+ was $45 :)

4. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

I have an H3 that I took out of my Anderson Cobra. I've been meaning to post an ad in the for sale section, but haven't gotten around to it. It's yours for $45 plus shipping if you want it. Let me know if you want pics.

5. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Any pics? I was really looking for the higher output model. Is it in good shape? No rust?

6. UnderTheGroove

PM sent

7. brattmoore

brattmoore Member

No international shipping ?

8. Darth Tater

$45 is a good deal and you'd be surprised at how high the output is..it's one of the hottest pickups Anderson makes, it's one of the 'red label' Andersons.

9. UnderTheGroove

That's the reason I replaced it with an H2. It just had more output than I wanted.

10. rex kwon do

rex kwon do Member

The most common pickup that Anderson uses is the H2+, which sounds great and has a lot of gain. But it ain't nearly what the H3+ is, which I thought was a fav of Vivian Campbell (cheap 80's reference). The thing about the Anderson pickups that always impresses me is that no matter what model you use, the tone is always very true and musical. I dropped one in a Jackson Dinky Strat I had 15 years ago and it sounded fantastic - quite a feat for a guitar that sounded like scheibitz.

P.S. I think the SD single coils are great, too, and I don't even own an Anderson guitar anymore!