Family Secrets

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by rhinocaster, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Bobbybigbucks

Bobbybigbucks Gold Supporting Member

My cousin's son murdered his wife and their two kids, set the house on fire and turned the gun on himself. What a sleazebag!

sahhas likes this.
  2. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

Yup, there are a few in my family, for sure.

rhinocaster likes this.
  3. rambleon

rambleon Silver Supporting Member

Not 100% sure but I heard something from from one of my cousins about our grand uncle who had lived his entire adult life and died in London. He was never in touch with the family once he left, may have in fact not died of a heart attack at a relatively young age. According to what my cousin heard from his mother, my aunt, the grand uncle may have actually been a drug dealer and was killed in a deal gone bad.

sahhas and sixstringfuel like this.
  4. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

5. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I grew up as a child spy with my spy sister.

shane8 and sahhas like this.
  6. RUSHFANnLV

RUSHFANnLV Member

A few years back, we found out that my Aunt had a secret daughter before she married her husband that we all knew about. Her parents, my grandparents on my mothers side, didn't even know about the child. She eventually told everyone about it when the child went looking for her real mother and found her. We're friends on FB now.:)

sahhas likes this.
  7. Mayo5

Mayo5 Member

My family doesn't know that I post on TGP. It will be taken to my deathbed to avoid the public shame they would endure if people found out.

8. Goldie Glocks

Goldie Glocks Member

My Great x4 Grandfather killed a man and then changed his name. He then volunteered for the infantry in the Civil War to dodge it. Apparently he got away with it too because the new last name stuck.

shane8 and el capitan like this.
  9. Vintage_

Vintage_ Member

Trying to think of a juicy one...One of my aunts is just the sweetest lady--generous etc. Her husband since they were young was the ceo of a fairly large company. ~2000 he passed away suddenly--they had no children. At the funeral a younger lady showed up with a little girl. Turns out that was his side piece lol. Think it threw my aunt for a loop--but to her credit she's always helped them financially. Particularly the little girl she's always treated like family and on a similar footing to her other nieces/nephews etc.

Another zany one...My sister-in-law(my sister's husband's sister) had 2 children with her husband but wanted more. Husband wasn't feeling it :). So she went and had the fertility treatments without telling him and ended up having triplets :eek:. Things went a little pear-shaped after that.

shane8 and sahhas like this.
  10. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

not sure it's such a secret in my family, but stuff not talked about much, and since my grandma died back in '94, haven't had much contact w/ my dad's side of the family:
    his dad (my grandpa) was in a mental institution for a short time long before I was born. I think they called it "exhaustion", but was probably depression. Heard that he had a pretty bad dad, was a real mean guy (my great-grandfather-never met him). My grandpa died when I was a year old, don't remember him.

Cousin on my dad's side committed suicide about 13 years ago, shot himself in the head. I think he was depressed that his 2nd wife left him. His mom and dad tried to get him to come live with them to sort his life out (which i thought was nice), but he declined and killed himself shortly after it. My aunt died shortly after this.

And I have a cousin on Mom's side of the family that is struggling w/ substance abuse issues, her 1st (only) husband left her b/c she wouldn't get help, and i think she's lost a few jobs b/c of it...no one really talks about her....it's like she's dead....

Both of my grandparents came here from Germany in the early 1920s, found out when i was a teenager, that my Grandpa's family, there was like 19 kids, only one of them survived from the war, and my Grandpa would be the other survivor (in america). My mom said he never talked about his family, no one really knew much about them, and he never had any desire to go back to Germany to see any of them. My mom said it was odd, b/c they would have had the money to go visit when they were of the age and could travel, but they never did. All I know about my Grandma's family on my mom's side were they were bakers in Germany...

I have a few cousins who are probably hillbillies, but never hear about them, nor have i in over 30 years. Had a number of cousins having kids when they were like 17, and this was back in the early 80s....no contact w/ any of them....

Bobbybigbucks likes this.
  11. iGouger

iGouger Supporting Member

My wife is 61 years old and was adopted as a child. She knew nothing of her biological family. She recently did the 23 and Me and Ancestry DNA tests and found a whole slew of relatives. She's been reaching out to them and they're all blown away having no idea someone in their family was given up for adoption. How cool are these DNA tests? But, I'd never take one... my DNA isn't going into some database.

sahhas likes this.
  12. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

Nothing shocking on my end, but I have a good friend who is the same age as me (37 this year) and found out last year he has a sister 3 years younger than him. His mother had her during a split between her and his father and gave her up for adoption once she was born. The mother has had ZERO contact with her since giving her up for adoption. When my buddy asked his mother about the daughter she told him that he is NEVER to mention her again and if he tries to bring her around the house she will get a restraining order against her. It's not like the mother is back with the original father, she has since remarried twice with another child from each of those marriages (so 3 total children with 3 different fathers, not counting the long-lost daughter). I am not sure why she is so secretive about this, especially after so long.

13. Vintage_

Vintage_ Member

lol We've already had it for years ;).

Sincerely,

The Man

14. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

Yeah, but sometimes it's not metaphorical.

15. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

Perhaps the greatest & silliest insult ever delivered from a battlement!

shane8 likes this.
  16. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

That sounds like mental illness, not sleaze.

Washburnmemphis and Gig Young like this.
  17. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

well, just b/c you don't have your DNA in a database, if your family members do, and you committed a crime (not saying you did, but just for arguments sake), and somehow the DNA is pointing to someone in your family and the police have suspicion it's you, they can get a warrant, tail you and wait to collect some DNA to verify suspicions....that's what happened to a guy who was discovered as the suspect to be the killer in a murder of a HS Senior back in 1979 in my hometown. This guy wasn't in the databases, but the match of his blood/DNA led police to his family, and they got DNA from a pop can after he left a restaurant when they were quietly following him.
    Never thought in a million years the case would get solved. Now he's in custody, and the trial is supposed to start this fall sometime. I'll be curious of the outcome. But when he was arrested, the small town that he lived in was pretty shocked by the events.

here is the Iowa Cold case about it:
    https://iowacoldcases.org/case-summaries/michelle-martinko/

now that's a family secret! (luckily it's not my family secret!)

amstrtatnut likes this.
  18. LHakim

LHakim Member

Just wondering why virtually everyone who has responded to this thread have felt compelled to reveal details of their family secrets, when the OP a) would not reveal his family's secret and b) he didn't explicitly ask others here to reveal theirs! Seems like simple yes or no responses would have sufficed. ;)

amstrtatnut and sahhas like this.
  19. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Member

Leia?

20. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Member

Why would he change the name of the dead man?