Family Secrets

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by rhinocaster, Jun 25, 2019.

1. guitarJoe91

guitarJoe91 Member

Every family has its secrets. Thankfully, mine is hardly relevant to some of the stories that have been presented so far.

My grandmother passed away on July 5th of 2017. She was my best friend and I miss her dearly. In the days leading up to her passing (she died of septic shock, so she held on for a little over a week), my mother’s cousin proceeded to tell my mom about all the times she had to come and pick her and my uncle up because my grandmother and grandfather were too drunk to take care of them. My mom was too young to remember any of that, and my uncle felt no need to share it. He had rather my mom (and me as well) not have known about it, since we were all so close.

Weeks later, that same side of the family came to us with here hands out expecting to get a little piece of what they thought was my grandmothers vast amounts of money. Well, she put all of her money in a trust that automatically paid her nursing home cost, funeral costs, her hospital expenses, and had spent a good majority of it on my younger brother and I prior to her health downturn. Needless to say, we don’t talk to that side of the family anymore.

2. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Some amazing stories here...

I guess that the conflict I felt upon hearing the family secret was how it confirmed that we are all human, fallible, conflicted. I mean, I KNOW this, but it's not something I've ever really thought much about concerning my parents (or at least my mom).

3. PLX

PLX MENSA member, Astronaut, Dated Your Mom Once Gold Supporting Member

He told me that after they didn't get the money, he sold the screenplay of his story to Stan Kamen for $50K.

Uncle Bob, MatchFive and VooDooClown like this.
  4. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

funny isn't it? I do think that getting the secrets out, you sort of realize a lot of things happen to a lot of people, you go through life and things happen. if no one talks about it, then it sort of becomes this "big thing" , but if you get it out in the open, you realize lots of people have lots of things going on, and things have happened in their past...although some of the stories are a bit heartbreaking to read....

5. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

wow, stuff like this is just gut wrenching to read! I can't imagine this being part of someone's family history!

MatchFive likes this.
  6. joe_jr

joe_jr Supporting Member

+1

7. Scafeets

Scafeets Member

Thanks to DNA testing, I found out that my maternal grandparents were Jewish. Being from Ireland, with very Irish names, I figured they were just another clan of Irish-Catholic folks who came to America right before the turn of the 20th Century. It turns out that they "converted" to avoid the rampant anti-Semitism they found in Boston, and my mom was raised Catholic. My grandmother went to her grave with that info.

QRSS likes this.
  8. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

I'm sure it was very difficult for my dad at the time obviously. They went to live with other family. I can see why he never mentioned it until I was older. My dad turned out well considering and used it as a driving force to stay away from things that would only side track him.. Like booze..

sahhas likes this.
  9. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

With a penchant for track suits?

:red

Matteo11 likes this.
  10. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

Booooring....

11. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

The original Don Draper

I’m adopted and l’ve done the Ancestor.ca DNA thing. There’s a forum which points out possible family members.

I don’t want to open that can of worms.

[​IMG]

It was a fairly normal upbringing. Summers in Rangoon...

Matteo11 likes this.
  12. Matteo11

Matteo11 Supporting Member

I own "this many" track suits. You gotta problem with that?

[​IMG]

GuitarGuy66 likes this.
  13. archey

archey Supporting Member

I never knew my biological father. When I found out that he had died I figured I'd go to the funeral. Growing up I never even saw a picture of him, so I was curious and I figured it would be my last opportunity to see him.

When I arrived at the funeral his mother stopped me. She knew exactly who I was even though she hadn't seen me since I was a baby. She told me I could go in, but if anyone asked I was a friend of his (my father). I agreed, but her boyfriend spilled the beans once I was in there.

I guess my father had never told his other kids about me. Which is kind of strange because he had three other children before my with another woman, and they knew about them. I'm not sure what the reasoning behind it was, but I was the family secret. Anyways they didn't seem too keen on getting to know me so I don't stay in contact with any of them.

rusty likes this.