• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Famous heavy gauge pick users - Brands

vhollund

Hello
First post in years

I noticed that alot of famous guitarists with great sound /pick touch use very heavy picks
There was a short moment in time where google was effective for finding out the Brands

I'm looking for info on the pick choice of
Paul Jackson Jr and Isaiah Sharkey

I'm seriously considering moving to ultra heavy picks from tortex 1 mm
Too bad they dont exist in heavier than 1.14
2.2 mm is what I'm aiming at but with some sort of texture, not a plain plastic pick

Any recommendations ?

Atmospheric

Check out Gravity Picks. They are thick, but also dense for their thickness. Notes sound huge. I like the master (rough) edge.

Interesting that as much as I like Gravity Picks on electric, I prefer 60mm Tortex for acoustic.

cap10kirk

I just started using the Dunlop Flow picks and I like them a lot. The Flow 420 is my current pick of choice. I also use 2mm Gator Grips, and have a few Gravity and V-Picks of varying thicknesses that I use here and there.

vhollund

Thanks guys
I didn't expect this many answers
Coming from tortex standard the Gator and the Clayton From 1.5 to 2 mm is probably where I'll go first

Those graphite picks are pretty intriguing though. Texture wise is it like a light weight stone pick?

I couldn't find the brand of isaiah sharkey but they are white and someone said 1.5 mm somewhere on youtube
Probably something mainstream
Could be Clayton

vhollund

Hello
I went to the store here in France
No Claytons mostly Dunlop
So i ended up buying this stupidly espensive pick 3 for 5 €
Probably the inexpensive Claytons (12 for 8 on Amazon) are just as good
But... I must say that though at first I completely rejected the thought of paying that much for a pick, there weren't any of the others I liked better

... And i hate to say it they are really good to play with
Rythm and single notes
Nice at punchy, good grip control but without the sharp wierdness of the jazz lll
I order the claytons though because at the rate i lose pick I sure hope to god that I find something as good on the cheaper side

Adagietto

Silver Supporting Member
Hello
I went to the store here in France
No Claytons mostly Dunlop
So i ended up buying this stupidly espensive pick 3 for 5 €
Probably the inexpensive Claytons (12 for 8 on Amazon) are just as good
But... I must say that though at first I completely rejected the thought of paying that much for a pick, there weren't any of the others I liked better

... And i hate to say it they are really good to play with
Rythm and single notes
Nice at punchy, good grip control but without the sharp wierdness of the jazz lll
I order the claytons though because at the rate i lose pick I sure hope to god that I find something as good on the cheaper side

The Dunlop Primetone picks? I really like the standard ones in 1.5mm. Beveling the edges gives them a little more crispness, but it can be a chore.

HHKeegan

Check out Gravity Picks. They are thick, but also dense for their thickness. Notes sound huge. I like the master (rough) edge.

Interesting that as much as I like Gravity Picks on electric, I prefer 60mm Tortex for acoustic.
I like gravity picks a lot but they wear down pretty quickly and are sort of pricey

HHKeegan

Thanks guys
I didn't expect this many answers
Coming from tortex standard the Gator and the Clayton From 1.5 to 2 mm is probably where I'll go first

Those graphite picks are pretty intriguing though. Texture wise is it like a light weight stone pick?

I couldn't find the brand of isaiah sharkey but they are white and someone said 1.5 mm somewhere on youtube
Probably something mainstream
Could be Clayton
I went through a 6 month period where I was mainly using 3mm Dunlop Big Stubbys. They are relatively cheap and are HUGE. I liked them because they are great for strumming and are more maneuverable than you would expect for fast picking stuff. Eventually i moved back to more standard 1mm picks but I still use them with my bass sometimes.

vhollund

The Dunlop Primetone picks? I really like the standard ones in 1.5mm. Beveling the edges gives them a little more crispness, but it can be a chore.
Yes that's what I got
I'm not completely sure if the slant fits my playing though
I might be too used to the flat sides
Now i got me some claytons on amazon so I'll be comparing
Chore ? How so?

I went through a 6 month period where I was mainly using 3mm Dunlop Big Stubbys. They are relatively cheap and are HUGE. I liked them because they are great for strumming and are more maneuverable than you would expect for fast picking stuff. Eventually i moved back to more standard 1mm picks but I still use them with my bass sometimes.
Agreed, I play mostly electric cleanish/crunchy stuff and the heavier pick is definitly better for strumming /chords.
I have used blue tortex for years but right now I want to get a more meaty less plinky sound and feel
Maybe it's a phase too
Time will tell :)

Last edited:

Adagietto

Silver Supporting Member
Yes that's what I got
I'm not completely sure if the slant fits my playing though
I might be too used to the flat sides
Now i got me some claytons on amazon so I'll be comparing
Chore ? How so?
They're thick and dense. I don't have a Dremel (rotary tool), so I hand-filed and buffed three of them (three slightly different bevels). It took a little while. The results were promising, so I'll probably get more. I have a pretty large collection of picks and the Primetones are what I use most.

Corius

I've just bought a Blue Chip Jazz 60 Large pick.

Incredibly expensive (I really mean that) and it looks just like any old cheap pick.

However.... it feels fantastic and plays brilliantly. Gets great reviews, and if you have lots of money they go up to 2.5mm

vhollund

I'm having trouble with the slant of the filled edges of the primetones
It seems to make my picking unstable so It works better if i use another corner of the pick
The Claytons acetones don't seem to have that issue
(But they might have another one)
I'll try the Gator 1.5 tomorrow
Should be close to my tortex habits
Checking out Delrin 500 too

Last edited:

pete692

Gold Supporting Member
Rounded triangle Clayton 346, 1.26mm. For nearly 25 years. I cannot play with any other shaped pick, and I struggle with anything thinner.

Trending Topics