• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Famous heavy gauge pick users - Brands

mrpinter

Silver Supporting Member
These Gold series picks have a great feel and a really nice warm tone. The beveled edges give a perfect compromise between articulation and gliding smoothly across the strings. Something about the material they're made of makes them a bit "grippy" so you probably won't drop them while playing. The slight roughness around the edges comes from manually shaping the bevels. Plus these really do last a very long time. I have a few I've been playing several years and show very little signs of wear. They are a bit pricey but they're worth it for me because they sound and feel so good, and their wear resistance (and they're about half the cost of some of the Blue Chip models).

When I want a brighter attack I use a Gravity custom shop acrylic, in 3mm thickness, with either an elliptical hole or "wave" etching - both which makes them pretty much non slip while playing.

Last edited:

vhollund

For the purpose of sharing, while I'm trying out and comparing...

I went another shop this morning
All they had was a Gator in 2mm and a purple standard plastic dunlop 1.5 (delrin? ) that i took home
The gator takes away alot of the crispyness/treble of the attack because of the texture, and to my purposes it's not what i'm looking for but i do however see the advantages of the tortex /skin like texture
But then again we are born with 5 fingers to serve that purpose

The purple standard dunlup plastic1. 5pick was better sounding but the edge of the font are very cheap/sharp et doesnt feel very good
Compared to the rounded edge of the prime tone it cannot compete at all

Now I'll await the Claytons and report back
Note that i play mostly cleanish/crunch sound
For metal and hard rock the pointy picks are probably better suited

Last edited:

HHKeegan

Yes that's what I got
I'm not completely sure if the slant fits my playing though
I might be too used to the flat sides
Now i got me some claytons on amazon so I'll be comparing
Chore ? How so?

Agreed, I play mostly electric cleanish/crunchy stuff and the heavier pick is definitly better for strumming /chords.
I have used blue tortex for years but right now I want to get a more meaty less plinky sound and feel
Maybe it's a phase too
Time will tell :)
The big stubbys are not made from tortex

dspellman

I like gravity picks a lot but they wear down pretty quickly and are sort of pricey
No, they're a lot pricey. OTOH, I have my first-ever Gravity Pick ("Here, try these out" from back when they were just getting going), and I really don't have issues with wear. My first Gravity was the 2mm Razer, which has a very sharp point, and was available only in a watery blue with smooth edges. I was using that for a while and along comes YouBoob sensation Rob Chapman, who visited Gravity Picks and decided that HIS favorite pick was...the same 2mm Razer. But he wanted it in a smoke grey color with the scratchy edges (custom charge, normally) and he wanted his signature on it. I'm not a Rob Chapman fan, but since the Rob Chapman Signature pick was in a color I liked and had the scratchy edges I liked, and was exactly the same price as my watery blue picks, that's what I order. As it turns out, the signature is also scratchy and helps with pick retention (which, let's face it, for a five buck pick can be a priority), so it's a win despite the wiener.

I also picked up one of the "gold" version picks (in the same Razer standard shape), and found that it really is better than the standard acrylic version, but that's just stupid expensive and worth about four extravagant dinners at El Pollo Loco (the $5 Pollo Bowl Combo with drink and tortillas will warm your tummy), so using those may be limited a bit. Definitely not a pick to be tossed into the crowd.

olejason

I'm using one you don't hear about very often... the Dunlop Primetone 5mm! As far as I'm aware it's the heaviest pick Dunlop currently makes. It's an amazing pick for gypsy jazz and really cheap, relatively speaking. I've used it on electric guitar from time to time and it's pretty nice for jazz. I usually use the small stubby 3mm picks on electric.

tanee

I just started using the Dunlop Flow picks and I like them a lot. The Flow 420 is my current pick of choice. I also use 2mm Gator Grips, and have a few Gravity and V-Picks of varying thicknesses that I use here and there.
Dunlop Flow 420 seems excessive?!? I'm all about thick picks and switch between the 2mm gator and some form of a 2mm primetone but anything past 2mm seems, silly to me. What am I missing?

olejason

Dunlop Flow 420 seems excessive?!? I'm all about thick picks and switch between the 2mm gator and some form of a 2mm primetone but anything past 2mm seems, silly to me. What am I missing?
It really depends on how/what you prefer to play. Personally I find really thick picks make playing clean rest strokes easier and the extra mass pulls more sound out of my particular guitar (from me, anyway).

GT100

These Gold series picks have a great feel and a really nice warm tone. The beveled edges give a perfect compromise between articulation and gliding smoothly across the strings. Something about the material they're made of makes them a bit "grippy" so you probably won't drop them while playing. The slight roughness around the edges comes from manually shaping the bevels. Plus these really do last a very long time. I have a few I've been playing several years and show very little signs of wear. They are a bit pricey but they're worth it for me because they sound and feel so good, and their wear resistance (and they're about half the cost of some of the Blue Chip models).

When I want a brighter attack I use a Gravity custom shop acrylic, in 3mm thickness, with either an elliptical hole or "wave" etching - both which makes them pretty much non slip while playing.
That’s not my experience.
The regular acrylic ones are easier to grip than the thermal plastic golds for me.
The golds don’t ever chirp and sound marginally clearer due to the well cut edges.

Lloyd

addisonnyle

That’s not my experience.
The regular acrylic ones are easier to grip than the thermal plastic golds for me.
The golds don’t ever chirp and sound marginally clearer due to the well cut edges.

Lloyd
Define “chirp”. Sort of the glassy tonal response from the acrylic ones?

cap10kirk

You're not necessarily missing anything, it's really all just personal preference. With a thicker pick I seem to be able to hold on to it better without having to grip it as tight as a thin pick. As a result, I feel like I have better control with my picking hand.
I still use other picks too, both thicker and thinner, and in a variety of materials. The 420 Flow just happens to be the current favorite.

Kev O)))

I'm seriously considering moving to ultra heavy picks from tortex 1 mm
Too bad they dont exist in heavier than 1.14
2.2 mm is what I'm aiming at but with some sort of texture, not a plain plastic pick

Any recommendations ?
There’s the new Hetfield White Fang coming out in another week or so. 1.14mm with Dunlop Flow dimples for better grip, and a nice bevel on the sides.

Trending Topics