Famous Kick Ass Guitar Solos Recorded with SOLID STATE Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Guitar Dave T, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

There was a similar thread a few years ago I thought I'd start off fresh:

I've never owned a solid state amp, and have only played through a couple in live settings. I'm a tube guy - it's all I've ever known and what I'm extremely comfortable with.

Still, it's pretty amazing to listen to well known recordings with KILLER guitar tone, to then find out they were recorded with SOLID STATE amps!

So here are the rules (edited 2/7/12):
    1. No slamming tubes vs solid state and vice versa!
    2. Name the player, recording and type of amp used.
    3. And it's go
    t to sound KILLER!

First up --

Carlos Santana live at Woodstock - played through a Galien Kruger solid state.

Allan Holdsworth with IOU, Gong, Bill Bruford ("Feels Good to Me" and "One of a Kind") - played through a Hartley Thompson solid state.

Eddie Van Halen, solo in Michael Jackson' "Beat it" - played through Allan Holdsworth's Hartley Thompson solid state.

Next?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  2. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Silver Supporting Member

I have always loved Robert Smith's solos on early Cure albums, recorded with his jazzmaster and jc120. Check out A Forest and M. Not shred by any means, but melodic and perfectly sit in the song.

3. doc

doc Member

Much of Albert King's output was solid state.
    Almost all of Dimebag Darrell was Randall solid state.

4. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Do hybrid amps count? If so, gotta say Billy Gibbons on Eliminator: 50W Legend amp (tube preamp, solid state power amp).

5. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Pretty much anything from Radiohead's The Bends and OK Computer would have been on a Fender 85, probably with a RAT or Shredmaster run into it.

6. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

We've got a good run going.

Also: B.B. King has played at least the last 20 years through an old Lab Series solid state.

7. Marty

Marty Member

Weren't Leslie West's Sun stacks solid state? So Mountain Nanutucket Sleigh Ride.

8. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Ty Tabor Lab L-5's I think on the song "The Big Picture"

9. rongtr

rongtr Member

No, they were tube PA heads. He would crank the channel volume and use the master for overall volume.

10. Kardula

Kardula Member

Anything from Dimebag

Most of John Fogerty

Tried to find something using a vox super beatle but couldn't

11. wishkahdaddy

wishkahdaddy Member

Def Leppard's "Hysteria" album was recorded using Rockmans...
    Last I checked, it was one of the best selling rock records of all time.

12. GA19RVT

GA19RVT Member

Brian May? Wasn't Deacy a little solid-state radio job?

Also, while Fogerty played Kustoms live, I do believe he recorded with Fenders.

And if you wanna talk solid state, MANY of today's "alt" and metal bands are recording straight into the board via processing units. I guess technically that's "digital", but....

13. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

Robby Krieger used Acoustic Control amps on the Doors records.

Bill Nelson of Be-Bop Deluxe used SS H&H and Carlsboro Amps.

Craig Chaquico used a Dwarf amp and a Pignose amp for numerous parts and solos on Jefferson Startship's "Dragonfly", "Spitfire" and "Red Octopus" as well as the "Baron Von Tollbooth & the Chrome Nun" album by Grace Slick and Paul Kantner.

Eric Clapton used a Pignose for 461 ocean Boulevard.

14. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

Some great solos must have been made with Roland Stereo Chorus's. I know Adrian Belew used them in the 80's. Very popular with the Jazz guys. They still make them.
    A lot of ppl recorded with a Rockman in the 80's (Billy Gibbons, Rough Boy)

15. Humancapo

Humancapo Member

Robben Ford - First solo record "Inside Story" and his live recording of "Monmouth College Fight Song" were both recorded using a Yamaha solid state G Series amp as rumor has it.

Then there's the ton's of recordings done direct to the board... Amp Farm and on and on.

Tubes are highly over-rated, especially here on TGP...

16. dunara

dunara Member

HH amps have had their acolytes over the years.
    Check the iconic intro to T Rex's '20th Century Boy'. That's a Les Paul into an HH IC100s. Bolan's better known for the Vamp Power stack that's depicted on the cover of 'Electric Warrior', but his studio sessions were done on a Champ and the HH.
    Big Country's Stuart Adamson and Bruce Watson used HH VS-musician amps throughout the band's life.
    Check out Andy Partridge from XTC playing the intro to the wonderful 'Peter Pumpkinhead'. An Ibanez Artist into a Fender Frontman combo with a wee bit of chorus on the mix.
    There must be dozens more, but these spring to mind immediately. Bill Nelson, BTW, also used an HH solid state head from time to time, but the Carlsboro he used most of the time was very much a valve amp; a TC100.

17. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

Over My Head - Kings X

18. EBGB

EBGB Member

Boston- Peace of Mind?
    Tom Scholz?
    Rockman?

19. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

I was going to say CCR with those Kustom amps.

20. teemuk

teemuk Member

Focus (Jan Akkerman), pretty much has used a Fender Super Showman through his entire career

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow album: Standel Super Imperial

Hurriganes - Roadrunner album, Peavey Musician 400 (Finnish guys will know that this band is arock icon of the country)

Iron Maiden - Caught Somewhere in Time and 7th Son of the 7th Son, both albums are pretty much Gallien&Krueger solid-state sound (2000CPL preamps, 250ML or 250RL amps, 2100SEL amps, etc.). During their "Killer" era their stage rig was briefly H||H VS Musician amps.

Mötley Crüe - Theatre of Pain album - Gallien&Krueger 250ML

Pink Floyd - Momentary Lapse of Reason - Gallien&Krueger 250ML

Speaking of 250ML amp, let's add several Rush albums, likely few ZZ Top albums, at least one Bon Jovi and Nuno Bettencourt album, a tour by death metal band "Death", probable use on Judas Priest's "Screaming For Vengeance" album. Basically I think every studio may have had one during that time. It's practically one key definer of the 80's guitar sound.

RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magic album: Fender H.O.T.

Rolling Stones (Keith Richard rig) - Let It Bleed and Beggar's Banquet albums, also Rock-n-Roll Circus: Triumph 100 Watt Lead or Silicon 100 amps

Ronnie Montrose - Open Fire: Lab Series L5, Gamma 3: Gallien&Krueger 200RG

Rory Gallagher Blueprint album and several tours during the same era: Stramp Power Baby

Shawn Lane - Powers Of Ten album: Holmes Mississippi Blues Master. Later he switched to using Peavey Pro-Fex amps followed by Line 6 amps.

The Who - Magic Bus album: Sunn Orion amps

Someone asked about the use of Vox Super Beatle amps... Well, Velvet Underground's debut album, several Tom Petty albums and at least one U.S. tour by The Beatles. The Beatles actually used Vox Conqueror amps more and speaking of old transistor Vox amps you can hear Vox Royal Guardsman on the Stray Cats' debut album.

There would be tons of more but I'm too tired to type.

ROKY likes this.