Famous players with only 1 or 2 electric guitars, who ?

Strummer77

Actually he had a few but tended to casually slap paint on them in a similar style ( sold him a couple )
That totally contradicts everything I know about Joe Strummers guitar then.

I’m a massive fan of The Clash and I know for a fact that he used the same 1966 Telecaster that he bought in 1975 all through his career.
He certainly didn’t casually slap paint on various Telecasters to make them look the same, you just need to see the Ignore Alien Orders and Trash City stickers that he stuck on his guitar in the 80’s and the deterioration of them over the years.

He did have various different stencilled slogans on his guitar like NOISE but these tended to get painted over and changed to something else.

MDrummey

Trey Anastasio has pretty much never been on stage without one of his trusty Languedoc Hollowbodies.

Blue Lizard

Richie Kotzen has pretty much had his sig Tele welded to his hands for years... although I note from one of his recent lockdown videos that he’s started to favour one of his Strats again at present.

xmd5a

All of these guitarists are the anti-TGP'ers. I know their kind from rig run down videos. They're like "it just works" and "I don't really know about that stuff, why guitar tech deals with all of it." I hate to admit it, but I see them as being more pure artists, so focused on the painting that the paintbrush doesn't matter. I'm glad I'm not that kind of person, though. I like my material goods.

MartinCliffe

Anna Falci basically just uses the one sunburst Tele. I don't know if she uses other guitars. Or how famous she is, in the grand scheme of things. But she was in PG, so not a total unknown.

JD Simo is a guy that comes to mind that had explained in interviews that he prefers to find an instrument and really get to know that as opposed to the "dog and pony show" of switching guitars after every song. For a long time I believe that he played only his red ES 335 and the RS Guitarworks Tele. It seems that he has since expanded his collection relatively significantly to include at least a backup 335, les paul, some other vintage 3 pickup hollowbody, Collings 360 Baritone, vintage strat, Koa Echopark Downtowner, Echopark Strat ........

Steve cropper only that tele n now that peavey tele
Albert Collins just that tele no other guitar.
Chuck berry the es 350 and then the es 355
Freddie king with the gold top then only one 355 and the 345 as his backup.

Carlos santana just the prs

ToneDeVille

I had front row seats for Santana at an amphitheater show and he played the same PRS from beginning to end.
Saw The James Gang on their reunion tour and Joe played a gold top LP for almost the entire "Rides Again" portion of the show, except for Funk 49 when he switched to a Strat. Of course he had his opened tuned Ric for the slide part on R Mt Way. But that was it for his guitars.

Mikhael

I had front row seats for Santana at an amphitheater show and he played the same PRS from beginning to end.
Saw The James Gang on their reunion tour and Joe played a gold top LP for almost the entire "Rides Again" portion of the show, except for Funk 49 when he switched to a Strat. Of course he had his opened tuned Ric for the slide part on R Mt Way. But that was it for his guitars.

"If I'd-a known that I was gonna hafta play this song every night for the rest of my life, I'd-a never wrote it." Rocky Mountain Way.

Nelly

How about Nile Rodgers with his “Hitmaker” Strat.

nile-rodgers.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom