Famous players with only 1 or 2 electric guitars, who ?

brobar

I respectfully disagree. For most of his Queen career he played the original Red Special. Yeah he used a tele for CLTCL but it is only in his post-Queen years that he has dug other instruments out on a consistent basis. Besides, everyone knows him for the Red Special.
I guess if we want to put into two separate boxes (pre and post Queen)... sure. But even then I think that is a stretch. I have bootleg concerts where in one show I've seen the Red Special, the Flying V, the Tele and a Strat. So at a minimum... 4. Just because he is most known for the Red Special doesn't mean that is all he used. It's just what we want to associate him with.

It's like we don't want to picture Willie without Trigger. It's the jelly to his peanut butter. It's the cherry to his sundae. It's the flip to his flop. But if you've seen him live you know he plays Strats and those god awful ugly Robin headless guitars. It just doesn't look right. But no matter what we "associate" with him... you see the guy play numerous different electrics all the time when he tours (or when he did tour).

Caretaker

Double Platinum Member
Iommi used 2 SGs almost all the time.
Rhoades used the white Custom and 2 Vs.
Springsteen telecaster
Kerry King and his V
Phil Collen and his Sig model Jackson
Bloomfield and his burst or tele.

jbd3

Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear
Gold Supporting Member
Brian May? He used pretty much one guitar for most of his career.

BM_RedSpecial.png

And he gets extra credit because he made it himself! I believe it's still on its original frets....

jbd3

Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear
Gold Supporting Member
I guess if we want to put into two separate boxes (pre and post Queen)... sure. But even then I think that is a stretch. I have bootleg concerts where in one show I've seen the Red Special, the Flying V, the Tele and a Strat. So at a minimum... 4. Just because he is most known for the Red Special doesn't mean that is all he used. It's just what we want to associate him with.

It's like we don't want to picture Willie without Trigger. It's the jelly to his peanut butter. It's the cherry to his sundae. It's the flip to his flop. But if you've seen him live you know he plays Strats and those god awful ugly Robin headless guitars. It just doesn't look right. But no matter what we "associate" with him... you see the guy play numerous different electrics all the time when he tours (or when he did tour).

He has to use a different guitar on "Fat Bottomed Girls," since it's in Drop-D, and the Red Special has a floating trem. And he HATED playing a Tele on "Crazy Little Thing," they basically made him! You can see when they do it live, he offloads the Tele as fast as he possibly can -- often while they're still playing the song, and they're doing the piano boogie-woogie vamp at the end. Pete Malandrone, May's tech, says that if May breaks a string and has to do a guitar swap, his marching orders are to get the Red Special back in May's hands as fast as he can.

A carpenter won't always use the same hammer; different tools require different jobs. But I can't think of a guitar/guitarist relationship that matches May and the Red Special.

moehuh

Guitarist who become very famous while still alive usually had/have plenty of guitars.
Others, like some of the old blues legends only played bar gigs and small clubs and got famous much later or even after they passed away. 1 or 2 good guitars was all they could afford

General_Specific

Gold Supporting Member
JsCydByzxF8yqnsK9
Can’t believe no one has mentioned Tony Iommi, always an sg.

Iommi has a small handful of guitars he uses live. He even has a white SG with a bigsby. I was shocked when I first saw that. A few years later, Iommi was in the studio and the white SG was there looking like it was dragged behind a truck. Iommi rides them hard.

SuhrLikesALot

Silver Supporting Member
. Pete Malandrone, May's tech, says that if May breaks a string and has to do a guitar swap, his marching orders are to get the Red Special back in May's hands as fast as he can.

A carpenter won't always use the same hammer; different tools require different jobs. But I can't think of a guitar/guitarist relationship that matches May and the Red Special.

The same is true for Tony Rice (master flatpicker, Bluegrass Hall of Famer, and acoustic musician extraordinaire) and The Antique, a Red-Special-esque Martin D28.

SuhrLikesALot

Silver Supporting Member
Muddy Waters

???? While he used his red Tele for quite a while, he used Strats, LPs, and whatever he could get his hands on (as the Chess Brothers were notorious for being cheap and were always trying to pay Muddy in goods likes cars, guitars, booze, weed, etc.).

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member
???? While he used his red Tele for quite a while, he used Strats, LPs, and whatever he could get his hands on (as the Chess Brothers were notorious for being cheap and were always trying to pay Muddy in goods likes cars, guitars, booze, weed, etc.).

There's pics of him with an early LP, a hollowbody of some sort, and that ugly Guild from the Electric Mud era. But I most associate Muddy with the red Tele.

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
Jimmy Page has mainly played his #1 Les Paul since 1969. I know he's played others, but even still it's only been a small handful of guitars over the years.....Dragon Tele, #1 LP, #2 LP, #3 LP, 1275 double neck, Lake Placid Blue Strat, & Bostwana Brown Tele.....

Trending Topics

Top Bottom