Famous songs or artists with solid state amps

firehawkkwah

Do you know of any famous recordings or artists who exclusively use solid state amps? None come immediately to my mind but I'm sure there's some out there...

teemuk

Santana: Woodstock and parts of debut album
Albert King: Born Under A Bad Sign
Rolling Stones: Beggars banquet
Rory Callagher: Blueprint
Iron Maiden: 7th Son.., Caught Somewhere...
Rush: Power Windows
Pantera: Vulgar Display...
Jefferson Airplane: Surrealistic Pillow
CCR: early albums

Last edited:

teemuk

Tom Scholz (of Boston). He didn't just use them, he founded an entire company that manufactured them. (Rockman and SR&D)

The Ventures. They went beyond "signature" models and produced a whole line of transistorized Mosrite Ventures amps.

jvin248

Any recording studio ... by the time the music goes through their electronic rack units that stretch and pull the signal into an album filling package it's effectively been through a solid state amp.

teemuk

...And that Les Paul guy had a solid-state signature Gibson amp in the mid 1960's and used a Tech 21 amp throughout the late years of his career.

Then there were those little toy amps - like that "Deacy" amp Brian May made famous - and Pignose amps - used by guitarists such as Frank Zappa and Eric Clapton. You can hear that one on "Layla".

JZG

Silver Supporting Member
Pretty sure the Roland Jazz Chorus was a staple in the 80's. Also have to imagine that there have been many tracks recorded where the guitar was just plugged straight into the mixing board.

beniskeen

...And that Les Paul guy had a solid-state signature Gibson amp in the mid 1960's and used a Tech 21 amp throughout the late years of his career.

Then there were those little toy amps - like that "Deacy" amp Brian May made famous - and Pignose amps - used by guitarists such as Frank Zappa and Eric Clapton. You can hear that one on "Layla".
Layla is on a pignose?! Which part?!

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
Ty Tabor (already mentioned above) of King's X not only used solid state amps, he was universally lauded for his tone. He used old Lab Series amps from the late 70's/early 80's. They were put out by Gibson's parent company as I recall, and came out at around the same time the similar Gallien-Krueger solid state amps came out. Both had some really cool tones (I had a couple of GK's, I liked them better than the Lab Series amps but both were fun).

Lots of folks have mentioned the Roland Jazz Chorus, they were everywhere in the 80's (admittedly for the clean tones; lots of folks who used them used a second amp for dirty tones but some used stomp boxes).

Trending Topics