Fancy color screens and color coded footswitches

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by hippietim, Jan 30, 2018.

1. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

Yep. They look cool. But man do they suck outdoors. I too want those nifty screens and footswitches but I really wish all of these devices had optional super bright LEDs for patch/bank names and footswitch indicators.

Even better would be paper white LCDs like the Amazon Kindle. I can read with that thing no problem in midday sun on the beach.

Normal guitar pedals LEDs suck. That's why I bought the Boss pedal tuner a number of years ago when they added the super bright option.

For all the pissing and moaning about the Fractal monochrome screen and simple LED footswitch indicators, I've gigged with them outdoors in direct sunlight and they're pretty usable.

I do wonder how the Axe III and the new foot controllers are going to do in sunlight. Cliff is pretty conscientious about making stuff suitable for pro tour use so hopefully outdoor usability was part of the decision process.

I had a POD HD500 and it was pretty tough to use in sunlight.

I've never gigged with the KPA, Boss GT, or Helix - how do they do in the sunlight?

Sascha Franck likes this.
  2. Unnecessary

Unnecessary Member

Helix, for me, was fine other than glare off the main screen at certain angles. Wasn't hard to read the scribble strips or tell if a switch was on/off. And on dark stages having multi-color rings for FX is awesome, being able to look at the signal flow screen and have different colors for different FX makes "double checking" on settings easier. I can see a reason to make color a selectable option, but to exclude all together for the occasional outdoor use seems kinda silly.

3. hippietim

I never said to exclude anything.

4. burningyen

burningyen Member

It's easy to make a pedalboard sunshade. Google "f61b43b7fd3c4c2ba04d548ab4e8fc13.jpg" for an example (the original poster seems to have deleted the pic).

rsm and mikah912 like this.
  5. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

The foot controllers use "transflective" displays that work in any light. The LED rings will wash out in intense light, no way around that. We tested them outside and they were pretty visible even in bright sunlight though. They have adjustable intensity.

ericb, MIJLOVER, yeky83 and 3 others like this.
  6. Unnecessary

Unnecessary Member

No, but here, and in several other places you've posed the same type of question in a manner suggesting that a LACK of color in display/switches is somehow superior or that color doesn't provide enough of a UI experience upgrade to warrant being a deciding factor when someone is shopping for a device or planning a new purchase.

7. Sleezy E

Sleezy E Member

Monochrome is far superior.

Just look at the most popular laptops...

Or traffic lights for that matter

3dognate and MoPho like this.
  8. MixMinisterMike

MixMinisterMike Supporting Member

I've played two days back to back outdoors, first day I used Helix, second day I used AX-8. Seattle, summertime.

Helix experience: Scribble strips totally visible, screen difficult to read at times, rings hard to see - especially if they're yellow or orange. Bad enough that the Helix LT wouldn't work for me in the same scenario.
    AX-8 experience: screen much easier to read under same circumstances, but when it's difficult to see it actually compromised more of the device's functionality - like the Helix LT would - because without the scribble strips there wasn't another way to see the pedal assignments. LEDs sometimes hard to see.

Personally I prefer the OLED scribble strips on the Headrush - I don't care for the backlighting on the Helix/HX scribble strips, especially in the dark. I also would rather have a device tailored to usability in a live performance rather than usability for studio work.

Moe45673 likes this.
  9. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Supporting Member

^regarding floor based devices; this statement is pretty much /thread

MixMinisterMike likes this.
  10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'd like to, but they're hard to see in direct sunlight

onwingsoflead and FlyingsCool like this.
  11. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Sleezy E likes this.
  12. mikah912

mikah912 Member

That's the way to go. Any shoebox and a pair of scissors get it easily done.

13. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

14. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Every bit this. I want bright, clear indicators showing me the way to whatever footswitches. For me, numbers are ideal, they should always be lit and somewhat change (bright to super bright or whatever) to indicate their status. And while things such a scribble strips are super cool when you call up a patch you haven't used in a while, I would never read what it says on them during a gig.

Example of how to not do it: LEDs of the Boss GT-10. The LEDs embedded in the block on/off switches just above the footswitches were so blindingly bright you sometimes couldn't see whether the switch LEDs were on or off. Argh!

15. hippietim

Then you have misinterpreted what I've posted. My point has always been that the hate for the Fractal UX is way over the top. No question, the screen ain't the prettiest girl at the dance. But it is actually a high quality display that is very crisp and clear and has good contrast for a variety of lighting situations.

Once the Helix came out, everyone all of a sudden started asserting that things like the Axe-Fx, Boss, etc. were outdated and unusable as if color screen and capacitive touch button experience was somehow ubiquitous. And anything less than that is now unusable and outdated. That simply wasn't the reality then. Or now.

The Headrush thing came along and it has a color touch screen. And because it's not the Helix, it sucks too for some reason.

All of the Atomic pedals have the yellowish backlit LCDs and have menu navigation just like a bazillion devices past and present - including the one announced last week. The GT-1000 just dropped and it doesn't have any color touch screen either - and it looks to me like typical Boss navigation.

So here we are a year or two later and the large color screen with capacitive footswitches are still not ubiquitous. Adopting this new stuff is not easy. Just ask the guys at Line 6. They've been very up front that it took somewhere around 5 years to get the Helix to market.

Fractal has obviously heard the feedback and by the looks of the Axe-FX III and the new foot controllers, they are headed in a the right direction. I will reserve judgement on the UX once I've had more than a screen capture to work with.

Hopefully I have addressed your issues so that we can stick to the topic.

ericb likes this.
  16. JiveTurkey

You're going to need to provide some clips Tim.

:D
    Usual disclaimer for me that the device with the "best display" was the one that worked the least for me :dunno I'm sticking to my quoting of MixMinisterMike.

ericb and ejecta like this.
  17. hippietim

[​IMG]

ericb likes this.
  18. hippietim

Oh wait, you said clips. My bad. Here ya go.

[​IMG]

ericb, Moe45673, ejecta and 1 other person like this.
  19. JiveTurkey

I'M GOING TO NEED CHEDDAR AND SOUR CREAM BEFORE WE CAN CONTINUE

ericb, mkr1 and ejecta like this.
  20. MixMinisterMike

MixMinisterMike Supporting Member