Fane A60 - what a speaker!!

RAG7890

Silver Supporting Member
Have you played a Celestion Cream Alnico by any chance?

If you have, how does it compare to the Fane A60, which I understand is a great Speaker?

A few of us are interested @Bluesful

Edit, from memory you have tried the Cream Alnico so your comments would be good to hear, so to speak.;)

:beer

Last edited:

MHG

It's a really nice speaker, and it was my favorite for the Carr Rambler, but I didn't love it with any other amps. They have a very unique tone and feel that I think is best paired with a Hiwatt style amp, or something like the Rambler that has similar characteristics.

RAG7890

Silver Supporting Member
It's a really nice speaker, and it was my favorite for the Carr Rambler, but I didn't love it with any other amps. They have a very unique tone and feel that I think is best paired with a Hiwatt style amp, or something like the Rambler that has similar characteristics.
So no go with a Marshall inspired Amp?

MHG

The Cream would be the better choice of the two for that context imo. I'm just going to quote my post in the A60 vs Cream thread.

"I loved the A60 with my Rambler, but found it to be very amp specific in general and moved it on. Definitely a speaker I'd re-visit if I pick up a Hiwatt style amp in the future.

I still have the Cream. It's my favorite speaker for my Carr Impala, and one of my favorites for my Marshall style amps as well. Definitely a speaker that has proven itself well past the honeymoon!"

Here's a link to that thread.

RAG7890

Silver Supporting Member
I’m procrastinating over what to pair with my 8 Ohm Cream Alnico in a forthcoming 212 16 Ohm Closed Back Cab.

No doubt the Cream Alnico is a great Speaker.

MHG

I’m procrastinating over what to pair with my 8 Ohm Cream Alnico in a forthcoming 212 16 Ohm Closed Back Cab.

I think you're going to go crazy trying to find a perfect match for the Cream other than the Creamback, which likely won't make for an improvement in either tone or feel. You could of course go with another Cream, but the Cream is at its best in a 1x12 imo.

If I were you, I'd keep the Cream in a 1x12, and go a different route with that 2x12.........like some Scumback Ceramics.

Bluesful

Supporting Member

If you have, how does it compare to the Fane A60, which I understand is a great Speaker?

Edit, from memory you have tried the Cream Alnico so your comments would be good to hear, so to speak.;)

You rang??

Funny you mentioned me, as I literally just posted this comment on Joe's video (responding to someone asking for a comparison clip with the Celestions):

I have Blues and a Cream here, and based on Joe's excellent clip, it sounds like the A60 sits somewhere between those two. There seems to be more low-mid than the Blue, and a nice present, but more rounded top end in the A60. It actually sounds a littler closer to the old Silver Alnico to my (albeit bad) ears. I wonder if you'd concur with those thoughts Joe, since you know........you've now actually played a A60 :).

Bluesful

Supporting Member

I still like the CL80 and Cream Alnico pairing.

I also still like the Ruby and Cream Alnico pairing.

But that's only from experimenting with IRs.

MHG

The Fanes are very different than Celestions. I've had the A60, M65 and the H75, and their mids are totally different than more common Celestion-type speakers. Not only are the mids shifted a bit, but as frequently mentioned regarding Fane speakers, they also have a different vowel sound than Celestions. Much more open in the mids, and the highs seem to add kind of a Fane/Hiwatt sound to whatever amp you pair it with. Again, they sound amazing when paired with the right amp. I found the M65 to be the most versatile of the three.

I have - I run one in my Dr Z DB4 currently. Without having directly compared them, I'd say they're certainly in a similar ballpark. I'm going to do a direct comparison within the next few weeks, so hopefully that'll draw some more concrete conclusions :)

I think one of my favourite tones in the video was the SG into the cranked H&K, which is essentially a 40W handwired Plexi. So I'd say it works v. well with a Marshall :)
The Fanes are very different than Celestions. I've had the A60, M65 and the H75, and their mids are totally different than more common Celestion-type speakers. Not only are the mids shifted a bit, but as frequently mentioned regarding Fane speakers, they also have a different vowel sound than Celestions. Much more open in the mids, and the highs seem to add kind of a Fane/Hiwatt sound to whatever amp you pair it with. Again, they sound amazing when paired with the right amp. I found the M65 to be the most versatile of the three.
I'd be tempted to agree - my favourite thing about the A60 was how it let the midrange characteristics of the 4 amps come through without imparting too much of its own 'flavour' on them. :)

itguy61

Silver Supporting Member
I guess I am going to have to try an Alnico speaker at some time. I had a blue years ago but barely remember what it sounded like. Any suggestions for one to try that goes well with tweedish amps? Carr Telstar is what I am playing now. What does Alnico give you over similar Ceramic speakers?

itguy61

Silver Supporting Member
The Blue.
My amps are all too much power for this speaker. I am afraid I will blow it. I would even be afraid to crank the Telstar with a Blue, might get too close to damage territory. If I remember correctly aren't blues really bright?

Bluesful

Supporting Member
My amps are all too much power for this speaker. I am afraid I will blow it. I would even be afraid to crank the Telstar with a Blue, might get too close to damage territory. If I remember correctly aren't blues really bright?
If you want a higher powered Blue then the Scumback S75-PVC is the answer.

I wouldn't call them really bright, but rather 'chimey'.

There's heaps of comparison clips on YouTube.

itguy61

Silver Supporting Member
Yep , I am look at those. I know @MHG likes the Fat Jimmy one, I know it is made by WGS. As many speakers as he had tried I am sure he has compared the two.

MHG

Yep , I am look at those. I know @MHG likes the Fat Jimmy one, I know it is made by WGS. As many speakers as he had tried I am sure he has compared the two.
Sorry, not sure which two you're referring to. The Fat Jimmy and the A60?

itguy61

Silver Supporting Member
You have recommended the Fat Jimmy Alnico. I was wondering if you have every compared the sound of a Blue to it? I know they are very different in regards to power handling but my only point of reference to Alnico speakers is the Blue.

My only reference to Fat Jimmy speakers in general is the C1270, it is sitting in a 2x12 with a Celestion A-type. It is going nowhere as these two together sound really good to my ear.

Reactions: MHG

MHG

I have - I run one in my Dr Z DB4 currently. Without having directly compared them, I'd say they're certainly in a similar ballpark. I'm going to do a direct comparison within the next few weeks, so hopefully that'll draw some more concrete conclusions :)

I think one of my favourite tones in the video was the SG into the cranked H&K, which is essentially a 40W handwired Plexi. So I'd say it works v. well with a Marshall :)

I'd be tempted to agree - my favourite thing about the A60 was how it let the midrange characteristics of the 4 amps come through without imparting too much of its own 'flavour' on them. :)
Yeah, I see them as adding a lot of character, and as being quite different from the Cream. I had a Rambler head, and was having a hard time bonding with the amp, and finding a speaker I liked.......including the stock Elsinore. As a Strat player, the overall tone was a bit too thin and kind of hi-fi..........a bit too cold and scooped.

The A60 really filled out and opened up the Rambler's mids, making it a perfect match for a Strat. It sounded really amazing. Very different than all the other speakers I tried it with. It has a unique, big, open midrange. It'll have a similar affect with a Hi-Watt amp. Though the A60 can be dialed in to sound good with various amps, it really excels with amps closer to the Hi-Watt tone and feel imo. This is just my experience with my specific guitars and amps, so this of course won't necessarily apply to everyone.