Fane A60 - what a speaker!!

What does Alnico give you over similar Ceramic speakers?
This is an incredibly sweeping generalisation - and varies hugely from speaker to speaker - but in my experience, ceramics typically have a more pronounced midrange and a more immediate, transient attack. AlNiCos are a little more 'happy face' EQ...thicker lows and more bell-like top, with less in-your-face mids and slightly more compression overall. I tend to say ceramics sound more 'rock and roll' and AlNiCos sound 'posher'; most people say ceramics are more suited to loud live playing - often with a good amount of gain - and AlNiCos are more suited to studio use and/or for clean/low gain stuff. AlNiCos can sound a bit 'fizzy' with gain because they're less rolled-off up top; ceramics can sound a bit spikey/lo-fi with clean tones because of their mids.

Also worth noting that AlNiCos are usually much bigger/deeper than ceramics - so won't fit in every combo (I had to modify my H&K Puretone chassis to accommodate an AlNiCo as the back of the speaker was fouling the preamp tubes.

As I said - HUGE generalisations there, but in my experience they're largely true.

itguy61

Silver Supporting Member
Hi gain for me is stuff like Petty and Stones. A Tim/Timmy pedal providing some crunch. Leads tones Mike Campbell or Tom Johnston or Young.

I know these are not high gain by definition. But about as high as I play. I just don't want to waste money if Alnico would not offer a good sound with these and sound different than Ceramic. And then I have to figure out what Alnico sound good with more American voice amps with these types of music being played.

Alnico speakers are costly, I want to try one but not waste the investment.

TA22GT

I play a LOT of Tom Petty stuff and I love Mike Campbells sound and gain structure.

The Alnico Cream nails it. Chimey, warm and articulate and very dynamic depending on the amp.
I can play Refugee on the same amp gain for the whole song by playing quietly or loud for the riffs and the speaker morphs from clean to mean.
I still want to try the A60 because it is voiced for my kind of amp.

itguy61

Silver Supporting Member
I play a LOT of Tom Petty stuff and I love Mike Campbells sound and gain structure.

The Alnico Cream nails it. Chimey, warm and articulate and very dynamic depending on the amp.
I can play Refugee on the same amp gain for the whole song by playing quietly or loud for the riffs and the speaker morphs from clean to mean.

What amp do you use?

Hi gain for me is stuff like Petty and Stones. A Tim/Timmy pedal providing some crunch. Leads tones Mike Campbell or Tom Johnston or Young.

I know these are not high gain by definition. But about as high as I play. I just don't want to waste money if Alnico would not offer a good sound with these and sound different than Ceramic. And then I have to figure out what Alnico sound good with more American voice amps with these types of music being played.

That's generally about as high as I go too - I'm generally "AC/DC or lower", and I love AlNiCos for those sort of tones. :) Love the high-end fidelity for low-gain crunch.

One of the first comparisons I'll shoot is between the A60 and the AlNiCo Cream - so hopefully that'll be a useful one for you :) I'm away for a bit now but will be back to shooting videos on 7 September :)

TA22GT

That's generally about as high as I go too - I'm generally "AC/DC or lower", and I love AlNiCos for those sort of tones. :) Love the high-end fidelity for low-gain crunch.

One of the first comparisons I'll shoot is between the A60 and the AlNiCo Cream - so hopefully that'll be a useful one for you :) I'm away for a bit now but will be back to shooting videos on 7 September :)

Thanks Joe! I really look forward to hearing that. I know it take quite a lot of time doing a video like that so no rush.
I commented on your video on YT that I loved the Fane with your 330 and Tele through the Romany. Righteous sounds right there!

Thanks Joe! I really look forward to hearing that. I know it take quite a lot of time doing a video like that so no rush.
I commented on your video on YT that I loved the Fane with your 330 and Tele through the Romany. Righteous sounds right there!
Aha yes of course...that was a mega combination! To be fair though, the 330 sounds epic though most things! :p

MHG

You have recommended the Fat Jimmy Alnico. I was wondering if you have every compared the sound of a Blue to it? I know they are very different in regards to power handling but my only point of reference to Alnico speakers is the Blue.

My only reference to Fat Jimmy speakers in general is the C1270, it is sitting in a 2x12 with a Celestion A-type. It is going nowhere as these two together sound really good to my ear.
Glad your still liking the C1270. Whether it's an Alnico or a Ceramic speaker, an American speaker is just going to be very different than a British speaker. There are definitely amps that I like with both the C1270 and the Black & Blues (Blue), but I'd really have to sit down and go back and forth between the two in order to describe their differences.

Bluesful

Supporting Member

I think the starting point for you may be to go and watch the Greenback vs. Blue Alnico comparisons on YouTube. There's a ton of those.

jnovac1

Supporting Member
recently got a swart ast pro with the a60. i have used the alnico cream with other amps, but not the swart, another great speaker. i read somewhere that swart doesn’t recommend the fane in this amp, but i’m really happy with it. it seems to be more responsive to subtle shades of touch. takes high gain really well. the touch response is a real pleasure, at least with this amp. opens up really beautifully at “stage volume”.

recently got a swart ast pro with the a60. i have used the alnico cream with other amps, but not the swart, another great speaker. i read somewhere that swart doesn’t recommend the fane in this amp, but i’m really happy with it. it seems to be more responsive to subtle shades of touch. takes high gain really well. the touch response is a real pleasure, at least with this amp. opens up really beautifully at “stage volume”.
I'd love to gig with the A60 :)

augur

Great demo !
Sounded good on almost every guitar/amp (even though I didn't like the Les Paul sound, but I'm a single coil guy so don't take it into account).
I have been wanting to buy and test this speaker for 1-2 years, but finally purchased a celestion gold for a 1x12 used at home and rehearsals.

I wonder how the A60 compares to the Celestion Gold and Cream at bedroom and gig volume.
I'll be following your next review and videos @JoePerkinsMusic ;)

PS: I noted a 10% discount on fane acoustics website using your code 'PERKY10'. How long is it gonna last ?

Great demo !
Sounded good on almost every guitar/amp (even though I didn't like the Les Paul sound, but I'm a single coil guy so don't take it into account).
I have been wanting to buy and test this speaker for 1-2 years, but finally purchased a celestion gold for a 1x12 used at home and rehearsals.

I wonder how the A60 compares to the Celestion Gold and Cream at bedroom and gig volume.
I'll be following your next review and videos @JoePerkinsMusic ;)

PS: I noted a 10% discount on fane acoustics website using your code 'PERKY10'. How long is it gonna last ?
Aha - I think you're the first person to have spotted that! ;-) I hid it in there to see who reads the descriptions (though I'll mention it in a Q&A video soon!) Not sure how long it'll last - I don't think it's a short term thing though, so I'd imagine it'll be going for a good while. They didn't say there was going to be a time limit on it - but I guess it's ultimately at their discretion!

I'll be comparing the A60 to the Celestions in a few weeks, all being well. :)

Produktsumme

Funkensprühender Feuerregen
Gold Supporting Member
I installed an A60 into my Tone King Royalist combo after I blew the stock speaker. It works very well with this decidedly Marshall-esque amp. Growly mids and precise bass and treble. Great combo, beats the stock Eminence.

augur

I have always wondered also how the Fane N30 (neodynium) sounds compared to A60. It is a very lightweight speaker which has been made to sound like an alnico speaker.

I happen to find the Fane A60 to go pretty well with Marshall circuits, but then I seem to prefer their ceramics over their alnicos, the ceramics having quite a smooth and alnico-like top end for starters.