Fane A60 - what a speaker!!

drbob1

Silver Supporting Member
I'm going to preface this by saying, I don't own an A60. I DO own a bunch of different years and flavors of FANE, though, and I hear similar DNA thru all of them. I'd describe them as having that British underlying heritage-so the upper mid bark that Celestion and Goodman also share, but with a bright but smooth top end. Which, I suspect, means they cover the frequency spectrum out to where the guitar stops, but roll off above that fairly aggressively. I don't like super bright sounds, although I like the amp to be capable of them, so a 412 loaded with purple FANES is my new favorite cab. It smooths out just enough aggressiveness from my 71 100w or my 20w Marshalls, or my old Oranges or 75 Hiwatt to be perfect. The closest Celestion I can think of in sound is actually the G12K-100, extended spectrum but not harsh.

As to alnico vs ceramic... Mechanically I think alnico compresses more-the flux density is more compact? But i think the frequency response of a speaker is more determined by the voice coil material and shape, the suspension, the cone material and shape than by the magnet material.

I'm going to preface this by saying, I don't own an A60. I DO own a bunch of different years and flavors of FANE, though, and I hear similar DNA thru all of them. I'd describe them as having that British underlying heritage-so the upper mid bark that Celestion and Goodman also share, but with a bright but smooth top end. Which, I suspect, means they cover the frequency spectrum out to where the guitar stops, but roll off above that fairly aggressively. I don't like super bright sounds, although I like the amp to be capable of them, so a 412 loaded with purple FANES is my new favorite cab. It smooths out just enough aggressiveness from my 71 100w or my 20w Marshalls, or my old Oranges or 75 Hiwatt to be perfect. The closest Celestion I can think of in sound is actually the G12K-100, extended spectrum but not harsh.

As to alnico vs ceramic... Mechanically I think alnico compresses more-the flux density is more compact? But i think the frequency response of a speaker is more determined by the voice coil material and shape, the suspension, the cone material and shape than by the magnet material.
The mid range is the most different thing between them, for sure. It's there in the Cream video above, but it's much more apparent in the Gold & Blue videos (coming in the next few weeks!) My personal opinion is that the A60 is a 'nicer' sounding speaker than the Celestions because it doesn't have that big spike in the upper midrange - it's flatter and much more balanced throughout the frequency range..you might describe it as being 'less hyped'. Some might say that makes it less suited to cutting through a band mix than the Celestions - but that midrange & treble is there if you want it; you just need to dial the amp in slightly differently. The A60 never really sounds 'harsh' whereas the Celestions can depending on what you're putting into them. It really is a phenomenal speaker - it's just designed with a different philosophy to the Celestions. :) Therefore, I must have them all! ;-)

drbob1

Silver Supporting Member
It's interesting, too, that FANE really has no historical continuity. The folks that were the company in the 70s are long gone, with virtually no records kept. So, it took extensive consultation with Steve Fryette and his team to voice the current line of FANE speakers right (both in terms of EQ and response to overdrive). I think they've done a great job, myself!

It's interesting, too, that FANE really has no historical continuity. The folks that were the company in the 70s are long gone, with virtually no records kept. So, it took extensive consultation with Steve Fryette and his team to voice the current line of FANE speakers right (both in terms of EQ and response to overdrive). I think they've done a great job, myself!
Well there was a fire, I believe, in which a lot of paper work went into oblivion. Then I believe plenty of hands that did the original drivers still work over at Fane.

It would seem that Fane got a bit hung up on wanting to increase capacity at the time Fryette suggested to them to go into lower handling drivers. From certain PoV you could see Fane trying to follow suite with Celestion on the more vintage, cream coloured drivers and the more modern, graphite and black ones, to cover a lot of bases.

We're obviously eagerly anticipating the Purple label and The Crescendo RIs, which seem to be a persistant nail to pull out of the board.

But I do concurr: they did do a great job on these drivers. More guitar friendly and appealing to buyers than previous line-ups, for sure.

Bluesful

Supporting Member
My personal opinion is that the A60 is a 'nicer' sounding speaker than the Celestions
sounds 'harsh' whereas the Celestions can depending on what you're putting into them.
I've also found this with the Celestions compared to the other alnicos I have here (Scumbacks).

I find with my Cream Alnico that I run the treble on my amp a few notches lower than I would with other speakers. That seems to smooth out a little of that 'nastiness'.

blackba

Comparison with the Gold coming in a couple of weeks :) (And Blue a few weeks after that!!)
Any chance to get a comparison between the Fane A60 and scumback scumnico (either of the variants)?

Really liked the fane in your clips compared to the cream for clean and lower gain. That preference was flipping for me as you moved the gain up and went to fuzz.

Any chance to get a comparison between the Fane A60 and scumback scumnico (either of the variants)?

Really liked the fane in your clips compared to the cream for clean and lower gain. That preference was flipping for me as you moved the gain up and went to fuzz.
If Scumback want to send me one, I'd be delighted to shoot it. But I've got speakers coming out of my ears here already, so no need to buy more right now! :p

playthecray

I am noticing this a lot more with the Avatar Fane M65 I have loaded in a 1x12 cab. I love the overall clarity of the speaker, but there is something missing in the highs. Between all my amps, I like it paired best with the VHT Special 6 head which is close clone of a Fender Champ.

The Fanes are very different than Celestions. I've had the A60, M65 and the H75, and their mids are totally different than more common Celestion-type speakers. Not only are the mids shifted a bit, but as frequently mentioned regarding Fane speakers, they also have a different vowel sound than Celestions. Much more open in the mids, and the highs seem to add kind of a Fane/Hiwatt sound to whatever amp you pair it with. Again, they sound amazing when paired with the right amp. I found the M65 to be the most versatile of the three.

Reactions: MHG