Fane A60 - what a speaker!!

kingbobalou

Why is it that when people upload a speaker demo 99% of the time that person happens to be the most mediocre, at best, guitarist possible with the most awful cardboard tones possible? Why don't some good player's with some thick juicy tones post some speaker demos?

Anyway there's so much BS on these forums anyway that gets repeated so many times the lies get beat into people as false truth's. Like in 2020 we somehow forgot how to make a friggin speaker that's as good as the one's they made in 1966. It's just that kind of crap that get's bandied about on forums, in large part because it helps keep the resale prices up on vintage gear. The current manufacturer's don't mind as long as you keep talking about the" mythical status" of their products, even if they are the vintage ones. It obviously still drives sales of the current production. And there we are the 'devil' has reared his ugly head and been exposed.

I mean it just gets so ridiculous its almost too much to take sometimes. With all of the advances in science, quality control, materials manufacture and consistency, precision machining etc etc, now we're supposed to believe thy can't make this or that as good as the ones they made in 1966, over 50 years ago? It makes absolutely no sense and defies logic if you even have half a noodle in your noggin.

Sure there's nostalgia and some of the "lore" of the magical tones can be cool, I get that. But sometimes it just get's taken to levels, in places like forums, that just reeks of something awful.

Last edited:

Bluesful

Supporting Member
Why is it that when people upload a speaker demo 99% of the time that person happens to be the most mediocre, at best, guitarist possible with the most awful dry tones possible? Why don't some good player's with some thick juicy tones post some speaker demos?
Got a clip of your speaker demos?

Yes, and as I believe mr Perkins is in the UK then SBs may be hard to come by locally.
Yeah definitely - as far as I'm aware there's no dealers over here. So I'd have to buy from the US - but that would also mean paying international shipping, import duty, VAT, handling charges, etc. Doesn't quite double the cost of the speaker, but...not far off!

Bluesful

Supporting Member
Yeah definitely - as far as I'm aware there's no dealers over here. So I'd have to buy from the US - but that would also mean paying international shipping, import duty, VAT, handling charges, etc. Doesn't quite double the cost of the speaker, but...not far off!
As someone who has imported Scumbacks to a country outside of the US (twice), I can advise:

• It's not cheap, especially when your currency is cr@p like mine.
  • I'd do it again because I really love those speakers.

Just wanted to say that I appreciate your demos @JoePerkinsMusic and thanks for taking the time to make them. Not too often we can find someone with some killer alnico speakers willing to make some nice demos. Keep up the good work.
Cheers mate - glad the videos have been useful for you :) The comparison of the A60 and Gold is coming soon. I've also just been playing a Fane F70 Ceramic which is pretty lovely too :)