Fane Alnico 12" on its way!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jpage, Apr 26, 2005.

1. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Just ordered a Fane Alnico blue frame to replace the Black Shadow C90 Celestion in my Mesa Lonestar Classic. I love this amp but damn if this board doesn't get me jonesing for stuff I didn't even know existed. $300.00 for a speaker; I am preparing to be overwhelmed.
    Anyone else use this speaker in a 1x12 combo?

2. dehughes

dehughes Member

Yes! Finally, another person who will experience these... I had a long conversation with Orlando (I believe his user id is orly2u) who is a fount of speaker knowledge, and a super cool guy. He spoke highly of the Fane...I've got to hear one now. :)

david

3. e-z

e-z Member

Is it the Fane AXA 12?

4. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

I don't know exactly. I read on this board that the black frame speakers were not as good, so I ordered the "blue frame Fane Alnico" because the picture on the Loudspeakers Plus site shows a black speaker.

I guess I'm just assuming that there is a black and a blue version of the AXA12...

5. dehughes

dehughes Member

If you paid approx. $300 for a Fane Alnico, then it will be the Fane AXA 100w, blue frame, etc.... That's the one. :)

david

6. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

Make sure you break it in for a good long while. 100 hours or so. It ranks as one of the worst sounding speakers until broken in.
    Be patient, you will be rewarded with a killer speaker.
    Just my 2 cents. Ive owned a few of them.

7. Rick0

Rick0 Member

8. Occam

Occam Member

I've heard a lot of good things about those but for the price it would cost to fill a 4x12 that's a lot more than I'm willing to spend right now unless I knew for absolute certain they would blow away my Weber Michigans.

9. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

When broken in these are my favorite modern production speaker. There is nothing that has the same low end and top end response. It is a winner. Be patient though - needs to break in as mentioned above.

10. Blueser

Blueser Member

Any way to speed up the break in process on these? Perhaps leaving a CD with lots of bass blasting through the cab when you're not playing guitar through it.

11. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Supporting Member

It's easily one of the best speakers I've ever heard...

12. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I'll step out on a limb here - I even like them new! It is one of the fonkiest sounding speakers - your first listen you say 'no thanks', then your second listen you can't get enough.

A long while ago I compared the Fane to that weird drama-queen chick with the high cheekbones and the bizarre clothes that your first instinct is to run - fast - in the opposite direction, then the next thing you know you're in the middle of an expensive divorce from your high-school honey because you can't get her out of your mind.

That's the Fane Alnico! :)

And it's so cool to show up with your Ganesha head into a tiny 1-12 cab and blow people's minds! :D

13. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Ha!

That about nails it...

14. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    :eek:
    You've set a new standard for speaker descriptions!

From now on, all speaker threads must include one post describing it as a woman you've known!
    :D

15. Blueser

Blueser Member

Classic!!! :dude

When you push her hard with the Ganesha, does the bottom hold together?

16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've not owned the 12" but I had a pair of 10s in a kendrick combo and they were great sounding and ungodly loud. He says something like 101-102 dB IIRC. Very sweet and harmonically rich.

17. roknfnrol

I think it sounds killer when it's being pushed hard. It is loud and efficient, not too different from an Eminence Tonker (different character).

18. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I really don't have the bucks to hang with Fanes -- or with that funky chick from highschool who by now has 4 kids and a newer, even worse wardrobe -- but have been hearing one lately. A local guy I know has a 15-inch Fane in an original Vibroverb. Have to say, that's one of the thickest, heaviest amp/speaker sounds ever.

Wondering how the Fane 12-inch would match up with my old Gibson GA-40. It's got a non-original speaker in it now, ceramic I think. Sounds hot, tweed, saturated, round and all that good stuff. Curious whether the Fane could make it more so, or whether the amp is too low powered to benefit.

19. roknfnrol

I've ruined myself by having recently aquired a Fane AXA12... no other speakers sound as good:(

Not even the new Eminence line (but I still love them).

20. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

$300 for a speaker isn't much when you consider that every sound you make is going to play through it.

Guys pay $200 for a round of golf.

If you like it - cheap thrills.