• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fane Ascension Series?

jameylewis

I am looking for new speakers for my 2x12 front loaded and ported cabinet. My favorite speakers are AlNiCo Celestion Blues, which is what I use in my AC30 which was built to vintage specs. However this cab is for use with my Traynor YBA-1, and it will be my *rock* rig.

I am not a necessarily a fan of 'modern' guitar sounds. I operate at high volume and I don't use master volumes or pedals to excess - my sound has more of a vintage feel to it, but I still try to push forward and do something new and uniquely my own with my playing. My main guitar is an Electrical Guitar Company all aluminum standard with humbuckers, which is kind of like an old Les Paul but with with extended highs and lows. I use a Balls Effects Rangemaster for solos and feedback. I use the volume and tone knobs a lot, but the bridge position with the tone rolled off a little is my default. I tend to prefer a smoother sound - I like high end and treble and overtones, but not to where it's piercing. And the YBA-1 has a ton of bass, especially with that cab, so I don't need a real bassy speaker, just something with a solid low end.

I am considering putting in a combination of A60 and F70 speakers in this cab. I was thinking this would be a good mix of my favorite AlNiCo characteristics. How is this combination? Would I be better served just getting two F70's? I don't think that two A60's are an option because of the expense.

I was kind of set on a pair of Weber Thames, but am just looking at my other options. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Sardocasm

cupcakes
Silver Supporting Member
I'm loving the sound of the F90 with my Fryette Sig X. Much more dynamic and lush sounding than the P50Es.

traktop

My Fane Medusa 150-c have just recently returned to my 2x12 cab paired with a WGS et-90. The ET-90s definitely behaved like a "prettier" compressed lower wattage EVM12l, so I can kind of hear some of the EV low mids matching beautifully those medusa highs and lows, but this time the Fane speaker winning the loudness battle, (I had the medusa 150C paired with an EV a couple of years ago and the latter clearly dominated the blend).
It´s been so nice being able to hear that amazingly detailed full range fane speaker again which I find very special, (I let the EVM12l go though...)
I just was wondering if someone have experience comparing tonewise the ascension F90 vs Medusa 150-c.
I readed over here that the f70 is brighter than the medusa 150-c; I can´t imaging a speaker being brighter than the 150-c and not annoying me with my hiwatt dr-103... In fact, I find the ET-90 getting too dark when trying to tame medusa highs with the hiwatt presence knob...
Cheers, Gilberto.

Last edited:

treedroppings

I have a Medusa 30, so I put a back panel on my twin cabinet. With a Celestion G12h-80, it handles the tube amp just fine. It's a little darker at bedroom volumes. They put them stock on an older Crate amplifier in the 80's.

ianblond

f70 in 2x6l6 combo...good speaker, really classy, Interesting crunch, warm midrange, balanced low end, highs somewhat in voxy style.Good Sound straight from the box.The same magnet as Creamback 75 and very different vibe.

mvsr990

Looking for thoughts on Fanes (or Hitones/Reeves) to go for in a 2x12. I have a Science Mother (50W, based on the Hiwatt DR201) and eventually I'd like to get a 1986-style Plexi head to go with it.

Two F70s, or an A60/F70 combo? Something else entirely?

Kelly

Looking for thoughts on Fanes (or Hitones/Reeves) to go for in a 2x12. I have a Science Mother (50W, based on the Hiwatt DR201) and eventually I'd like to get a 1986-style Plexi head to go with it.

Two F70s, or an A60/F70 combo? Something else entirely?
I recently loaded f70s in my 2x12. Im really enjoying them. Not harsh, no wonky spikes in the eq curve. Highly recommended.

Me too. The user demos I'm aquanted with have sounded quite promising. Very woody sounding and bright without sounding very ice-pick-y at all.

augur

I did put a pair of Neo Creambacks in a Fender type blackface 2x12, paired with a 6G6B clone and I'm not totally satisfied by them.
I am wondering if Fane N30 would be a better choice to get warmer mids.

Any update? Any N30 owners out there??
It's fair to assume there is quite a few of us waiting for somebody else to make the first move on one. :)

I may not sing this demoer's praises very loudly, but I do like the general tone of the demo. There's this honesty and articulation about the tone of it, I think, like it's you and the amp against the world or something - if that makes sense.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom