Fane AXA (Axiom) 12" 100 Watt Alnico. Any around still?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SuperReverb2, Jun 10, 2007.

1. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I've been trying a few "alternative" speakers with my Fuchs as of late, (still like my Scholz but I'm looking for a speaker(s) for my other 1 x 12's), and among them was a nicely broken in Fane AXA (Axiom) 12" 100 Watt Alnico. (about 5 years old) I REALLY liked this speaker with my Fuchs and my newly acquired Heritage H-150CM with Wolfetone Dr Vintage pups. I realize that Fane has gone bankrupt and has been purchased by Precision Devices International Limited, and they state (on the "Fane" web page) that the equipment, etc., is going to be moved to a "new" plant with the idea of resuming production, but as sometimes happens when a company is "acquired" by another, the "new" Fane might not be anything like the original Fane. US speaker and other speaker "sellers" have long since sold out of the Fane AXA 12 speaker, and although they are still listed as "in stock" and for sale at Kendrick, the newsletter I recieved from Kendrick this morning seems to indicate even they are out of the Fane Alnico as they are now putting the Kendrick Brownframe 12 (as stock) in the amp that always came stock with the Fane.
    I would like to acquire one of these speakers, so if anybody here knows of a "stash" anywhere, it would be greatly appreciated.
    I also tried the Celestion Gold Alnico 50 watt with my Fuchs, and although I didn't like it quite as much as the Fane, (pretty close though) I was actually VERY surprised as to how much I liked it considering how some here have dismissed it with a Fuchs amp. I also tried the Tonker with my Fuchs. Nuff said on that! OUCH!

:)

2. Popoon

Popoon Member

It may not be of any help but i can pass on some of my recent Fane experience.

Earlier in the year just after Fane was bought up by Precision Devices i placed an order for a ferrite AX12 with an UK vendor and soon afterwards they tell me via e-mail that they had none in stock and that Fane was now owned by Eminence!
    They went onto explain how my speaker would become available after Precision Devices had shipped their Fane speakers to the OEM's.
    So i waited the six weeks that they determined would be the time frame and then send another e-mail enquiry and then waited for a few days for the telephone reply in which it transpired Precision Devices were not going to make the Ferrite AX's anymore but the AXA alnico would still be available.

During the long wait i enquired about the continued production of Fane speakers to Fane and got no response,i enquired about the same to Precision Devices and got the same response.

Apparently the new boss of Fane wants to move the company forward by scrapping at least one product line and not responding to potential customer hails..

Probably they were only really after the Fane patents.

So to the best of my knowledge Hiwatt and the likes will continue to get their Ferrites and the Alnico may be available if jumping through hoops with cash in hand is your thing.

3. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Maybe merging this with the Warehouse Speakers thread?

4. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Interesting. :)

I have an e-mail query into the company as well, and as you might have guessed, no reply as of yet.

5. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

They're not easy to come by. I had two, but sold them both after getting the Celestion Alnico Gold. I prefer the Gold's clean tones to the Fane. eBay is probably your best bet - just sit patiently and wait. Save a search for them and eBay will check every day, so you don't miss something.

I also have a Fane AXA10 - the 100W 10" version and it's a great 10" speaker - works well with my Ragin Cajun and EVM 10M.

Good luck!

6. Popoon

Popoon Member

7. v-verb

v-verb Member

I've got a couple that I'm going to sell - email me if interested.

8. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Thanks for the replies!

v-verb: E-mail sent.

9. parker_knoll

parker_knoll Member

I have one Fane Alnico 12" for sale. It's listed in the Amp Emporium, or PM me for details.

Cheers

10. 85db

85db Member

11. wreckmark

wreckmark Supporting Member

I have been looking for some today. Could find none in the US.

I ordered two from TAD in Germany.

Been wanting to try this speaker for a while. Now they are even more hard to find.....

12. ugameus

ugameus Member

Tonic Amps sells them

13. wreckmark

wreckmark Supporting Member

Darin used to be a dealer, but stopped about 2 years ago due to Fane changing their pricing structure at the beginning of 2012, he just told me.