Fane F70 (or Avatar H75) in a 112... open or closed back?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TJT79, Dec 10, 2016.

1. TJT79

TJT79 Member

I am awaiting delivery of a Fane F70. I will be building a 112 cab to put it in. With this speaker, would you recommend open or closed back?

Music - cleanish Beatles to modern hardish rock, say Foo Fighters, maybe QOTSA, some grunge, some Sabbath. Lots of classic ACDC type crunch... you get the picture.

Amp: Homemade Marshall 18W kit (Ampmaker P1800). Power scaling and an extra gain stage. Lovely amp!

So, would you go open or closed?

2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

I like open back cabs.... more of a 3D sound, less directional.. more air in the sound

3. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different!

Neither! I'd get a convertible back, the best of both worlds!

oldhousescott likes this.
  4. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

^^^This. Get the convertible back and experiment.

5. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Fanes can be quite temperamental, so you may just like it closed back. Then some who live by the Fane sound want the to breath as much as possible and would go open or partially open in a heart beat.

6. support

support Member

I would lean open. Closed or ported cabs hold together better when you're pummeling the speaker.

Open breathes, fills a room better (reflections) and sounds more musical with lower powered amps.

Because of their inherent extra structural support, convertible cabs tend to be a compromise of both worlds, not the best of either.

7. TJT79

TJT79 Member

Thanks for the responses. Any F70 owners with comments specific to this speaker?

I do like the way an open back fills the room, but sometimes want more punch...

Regarding open backs, anyone have any experience on oval opening vs straight? I can't imagine the difference can be that noticeable once in a band mix??

8. chimaera1982

chimaera1982 Member

I bought a lightly used Fane F70 and I installed in a donor Orange PPC112 closed back cab. I would prefer an open back as a contrast to my Mesa Recto 112 but in here in HK its difficult to find cabinets and no local builder. I live in a small apartment so building it myself is out of the question.

Got the Orange PPC112 on the cheap. So far liking it, am using a Reeves Custom 10HG which i have asked Bill for a lower gain. It fits perfectly Imo with the Fanes, really a Hiwatt/Marshall hybrid sound. Very detailed, and full and pretty bright. Am using Telecasters (varying versions Strat-tele/tele-tele etc) and it does sound punchy and authoritative but i have to cut the treble a fair bit.

Let me know if you have more questions.

9. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

I have both the F-70 and F-90 and both are outstanding in my closed back cabinets.
    I have not been able to try them open back because my cabs are all closed.

10. Millo 4.0

Millo 4.0 Member

Bumpity bump...any reasons not to put it in a Mojotone Lite 1x12 (pine)? Any new insight/recommendations after 4 years, since the death of this now-zombie thread?

11. TJT79

TJT79 Member

Bought the speaker. A bit piercing out of the box but 30 mins in it had already mellowed noticeably. Nowadays it's warmer and smoother still but still plenty of bite.

Loads of definition. Nice cleans, excellent for crunch. It's got a fair bit of low end so I tend to back off the bass on my amp (to be fair I do this with almost any setup - playing live with a bass player, kick drum, and another guitarist it helps to keep things tight).

In short, after a few years I still really like it and would buy the same again.

12. Millo 4.0

Millo 4.0 Member

Awesome. Thanks for the report. What kind of cab did you end putting it in? With what kind of amp?

13. TJT79

TJT79 Member

Homemade pine 1x12 cab, slightly oversized compared to most. Fixed baffle - the whole thing is very rigid. Convertible back. It's slightly more open and airy sounding when open, more punchy and direct when closed.

Amp is an Ampmaker P1800 kit amp. Handwired Marshall 18W circuit, but hot rodded in a few ways (SS rectifier, cascaded gain stages on V1 valve, bass control).

I would say this speaker would sound fantastic with any British-voiced amp. Fender amps, no idea.

Millo 4.0 likes this.
  14. Millo 4.0

Millo 4.0 Member

Thanks so much. I already have the F70, wondering what cab to go with. I’ll try and see what pine-made convertibles I can find, but otherwise I’ll go with the open back (unless it’s “strident” this way) from Mojotone.

15. TJT79

TJT79 Member

Convertibles are great - you can try both before you decide. Also it allows you to adapt. For example, an open back near a wall will fill the room better, particularly with the low end. If you're playing outdoors, without a bouncy surface behind you then open backs can lose a lot of their 'body', and closed backs tend to work better.

Honestly I chose pine because it's light and cheap, and where I live decent plywood is very hard to find. I'm sure there is an effect on the sound but I'd say it's subtle.

Millo 4.0 likes this.
  16. Millo 4.0

Millo 4.0 Member

At 43, and being more of a sit-down acoustic player, I don't plan to log around lots of heavy gear (got electric guitar gigs in the upcoming months)--I'm also thinking of pine because of the light weight, especially considering I might end up picking up a low-mid to mid-power head in the used market, which means it most likely will be heavy-ish. I'll call Mojotone and/or Avatar next week to consult with them. Does anyone else have a reliable, affordable manufacturer to recommend? How's V Boutique?

Got a friend and colleague who's a woodworker and has offered his shop--but I don't want to go through applying tolex--although I might need to do it anyway to convert the last amp I have from a combo to a head. If convertible is not an option, I've changed my mind: closed back might be the way to go because of it being fine with confined or open spaces--had not considered that. Thanks for all your insight!

17. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

You could have your woodworker friend build the cabinet out of Pine because in my opinion it sounds warmer and it’s also lighter and then you could finish it with polyurethane instead of tolex.It will look nicer and it will also let the wood breath more just make sure the cabinet is oversize for 112 because if not it will sound Boxy

Millo 4.0 likes this.
  18. MHG

MHG Member

I prefer my H75 in a closed-back cab........and I'm typically a die-hard open-back cab kind of guy.

19. deepcove17

deepcove17 Supporting Member

I have had great results with H75 in open back combo's and open back 2X12's. I much preferred it over H75's in a 4X12.

20. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've got some locally built pine cabs, they're resonant and light. Definitely a different feel from a ply cab. Might not work as well with super high gain (might get some "ringing" from the cab) but for an 18w? Perfect!