Fane Studio 12B speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rockon1, May 6, 2008.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Someone gave me this speaker today. Wondering if its any good as a guitar speaker. Bob

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

OK-quick listening-it sounds pretty good! Smooth even response. More high end than I thought it would have but not bright. I put it in a 1x12 cab and tried it thru my V32. Bob

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Nobody's heard of this model? Surprized -I figured somebody would have. Bob

4. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

I'm curious, how much does the speaker weigh?? It looks like the speaker they used to put in the Studiomaster Valve Leadmaster combo. The Fane in that combo was the heaviest speaker I've ever lifted.

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yeah its heavy! It must weigh about 20 lbs. Turned my V32 into a rediculously heavy combo. It sounds pretty good but its weight is a downside.Bob

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Bump....I guess nobody has used one? This one is dated 1996. Its a bit fizzy at lower volume/high gain but warms up and smoothes out nicely with a little volume. Similar to my Eminence Delta Pro . Bob

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Bump. If anybody runs across one of these give it a try! Makes a good guitar speaker IMO. Bob

8. DC1

DC1 Member

Looks like a pro audio piece. Typically they are cleaner than guitar speakers and tend to get unhappy when fed an overdriven sound.

I have not tried one of these, but I have put a few JBL pro audio drivers in amps and they sounded OK for certain things, but weren't really suitable overall.

DC

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yeah definately looks like a pro audio driver. So's an Eminence Delta Pro though and lots of guys use them. It sounds very good with high gain tones. Bob

10. DC1

DC1 Member

EVM12-L's started as pro speakers too and they work well on guitar. Later they wanted less color even than that and developed the DL series, which do not work as well for guitar.

Years ago, JBL did a blind speaker test for a bunch of LA studio players and to a person they liked the higher-distortion, more colored speakers more than the cleaner, more accurate ones.

Funny huh?

So, the proof is in the listening. If you are getting tones you like out of it, it is a good guitar speaker.

DC

11. absand10

absand10 Member

Just found the Fane 12B question on this site. I have the full spec. details on this speaker if you need them.

Cheers, absand10

12. wico

wico Member

Good day

Can you still provide specs on the Fane 12B?