fane/weber thames OUTSIDE the hiwatt camp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by newholland, Dec 19, 2009.

1. newholland

newholland Member

any of you gents use fane speakers outside the hiwatt fray?

i've got a dr z ghia, and i'm definitely looking for some townshendesque tones (i.e. broad, burly, big harmonics, NO speaker flappin', and easily cleaned up with the volume knob) and i'm wondering if they'd work in my rig- even though it's a very different critter than a dr103..here's the deal;

i've got a mesa thiele 112. it's got an eminence dp12a in it- which is kinda a darker evm. works pretty well by itself-- but it runs a bit dark.

on top of that i'm eagerly awaiting a lopo convertible cab i plan on leaving open back BUT i might be convinced to close it up with the right speaker. i used to run a similar rig with a cl80 in the open back, and efficiency wise, it works out great with the thiele.

that combo works out GREAT for good dispersion, a snappy feel, and a broad FR- but having heard a 3/4 back cab last year with an EVM and a higher watt fane in it-- i'm still trying to recreate it!

i'm wondering if something like a weber thames might be a good match for the thiele, or possibly even a fane medusa, if i could find one.

i seldom hear anybody NOT running hiwatts talk about 'em-- and i wonder if it's a function of that being a strain of puritanism, or are fanes really that ill suited to other applications? i have my doubts upon it.. but i wonder!

anyone have an opinion on the matter of a) fanes and other amps, and b) this particular application question!
    thanks!

2. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I love my Swanson "OEM" Fanes in an open back Avatar 2-12 with my Traynor YBA1, Marwatt and Traynor YCV50........

Great sounding speakers.....

3. newholland

newholland Member

heya tripower- thanks for the bounceback-- how would you characterize them up against something like a greenback or an EVM in an open back cab?

they seem to hold up in the bottom-- and most importantly-- do they get really honky-- or would they be better suited to a closed back?

4. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

I play a Weber Thames and a Weber Blue Dog ceramic in an openback Bruno 212 that floats my boat in just about every venue. My Fuchs Lucky 7 sounds just fine through that combination.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009