Fano Alt de Facto SP6?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by durbanpoison, Jan 23, 2012.

1. durbanpoison

durbanpoison Member

I'm interested in the Fano Alt de Facto SP6. Anybody here own/play one? If so, what can you tell me about them? Specifically, I'm interested in models with the carved body, a maple neck/fretboard, most likely, a set neck (though I'm not way hung up on that; bolt on is OK), and a Lollar P 90 in the neck and some kind of Lollar T-Series in the bridge.

In fact, if you've got one you'd like to move that meets those general specs, please let me know! :aok

2. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

I'd advise you to play one if possible before buying. I'm generally a big fan of Fanos (now have a PX6 and an RB6), but the SP6 (ash/maple, with tele bridge and P90 neck) didn't do it for me and I sold it pretty quickly. didn't have the depth of tone/resonance I look for; was a very blah sounding guitar to me. well made and played pretty nicely though.

as always YMMV

3. ford

ford Supporting Member

I've only seen bolt on versions. The ones I've played have all been great. I've never played one with a maple board though.

I've played ash, alder and korina bodied versions.

I liked the korina body and necked one the best. Great guitar... I owned it for a while... I eventually sold it... so I could buy my TC6 I have... which is just a tremendous guitar.

Anyway... I think they are great, and with ash or alder you certainly get a good amount of tele twang.

I think the ones I played had Fralin pickups though.

4. durbanpoison

durbanpoison Member

Thanks for the input, so far!

Anybody else?

5. DCH

DCH Supporting Member

I own an SP6 with mahogany slab body, bolt-on maple neck with rosewood board, and the Fralin T/P-90 combo you describe. GREAT guitar. I'm a long-time Tele fan, but have always been very picky because too many otherwise good Teles are just a little too ice-picky bright in the bridge position. This one is bright, make no mistake, with plenty of twang, but the mahogany and the shorter scale give it some girth too that it is thicker and meatier than the average Tele - sounds great, to my ears. A real pleasure to play, too. The neck has that long-broken-in feel to it. Loads of character to this guitar, both in sound and in looks.

As 54GT says YMMV, but I can't imagine one of these ever being a "blah" sounding guitar.