Fano GF6 pick up confusion

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by thechamcham, May 2, 2015.

1. thechamcham

thechamcham Member

Hi folks

Due to a redundancy payment I am about to push the boat out and buy a nice guitar, treat myself as it were after many years of mediocre guitars, I'm 56 so it's now or never!
    I've decided to go for a Fano GF6 in Bull Black with silver plate and Bigsby, rosewood neck.
    I am bit ignorant about pick ups and at the moment I don't have an amp, but will probably get a Fender DRRi or Tone King or something.
    I play rock and pop ( my own music) so I like a variety of nice sweet clean tones but also need plenty of drive sometimes and occasionally some sustaining overdrive for leads, I don't really know whether that is the domain of effects!
    So what pick ups do I need? Do I get nice warm and clean then use effects?
    There is a bewildering choice on the Fano site - I can get either Lollar Imperials, Fralin P 90's, TV Jones T Armond or Powertron.
    Listening to demos on YT has just confused me and after reading some knowledgeable comments on here I thought I'd just ask!
    Thanks in advance
    James

2. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Member

You can't go wrong with any of those pickups as long as you know whether you want a P90, filtertron or PAF style pickup. I would go to a local guitar store and play as many different guitars with those types of pickups in them and see what you naturally gravitate towards.

3. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Member

Or being that you were born in '58 or '59, maybe get a nice old Les Paul? ;)

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Welcome to TGP!

I'm one who needs a clean tone I like and build the OD with pedals, or by cranking the amp.

P90s are a great pickup for rock, jazz and many other genres. However, they can be noisy. If you can't tolerate hum in your cleans I suggest looking at the Imperials.

I have no experience with the other pickups.

As for amps, I haven't tried a Tone King but did own a DRRI. From about 6 on up on the volume knob it doesn't get louder, just more overdriven. It's a nice amp and should work fine at home and in a band. You will probably want to run it through a PA in larger venues.

Deed Poll's suggestion of playing as many different guitars as you can with the pickups you have to choose from is good advice.

Good luck with the new guitar and post pictures when you get it!

5. bikeracr

bikeracr Supporting Member

A lot of variables to consider here & most importantly, your own preferences. The P90s will likely have lower output & keep the amp clean longer. The Imperials & Filters will push the amp harder & to break up sooner. You could also get the 4-wire Imperials & for cool tap / single coil tones, as well.

You cannot go wrong with a Tone King Imperial. Although it has rhythm and Lead channels, it is really 2 amps in one box. I absolutely love mine. If you do get one, ensure that it is one of the versions with the built in attenuator. Without it, you have to crank it loud to get break up. The box also takes pedals very well.

6. thechamcham

thechamcham Member

Thanks everyone, going to try some today-just occurred to me - wouldn't it be a good idea to put say a Fralin AND a Lollar in?

7. thechamcham

thechamcham Member

Ok tried the stores in London and it's obvious I'm not going to find any of these pick ups - they aren't standard.