Fano JM6 vs Grosh Electrajet

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Goode, May 9, 2016.

1. Goode

Goode Member

I'm looking into buying an offset with P90s. These both seem like great guitars (although I have not yet played the Grosh). I'm looking for a versatile guitar to be my primary axe. Does anybody have any thoughts? Also, does anybody have a sense as to the quality of the less costly "standard" lines of these guitars that both producers are currently making? Thanks.

2. jklotz

jklotz Supporting Member

I've got a Grosh EJ. Great guitar. Pickups are very fat and clear. I'd say it is a very versatile guitar, especially with the trem. Don does top notch work. Sorry, I haven't played a JM6, so I can't compare them. A used Grosh ej is a heck of a good deal if you can find one. I've seen them go for very little money considering what they are.

Bunky likes this.
  3. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Yup - A used Grosh EJ is a steal of a deal. Killer Guitar! Hard to beat a Grosh Neck!

4. kbgear

kbgear Member

I'd vote Grosh EJ as well (I own one with splittable mini-humbuckers). The Fano has a more vintage vibe overall, but I found the EJ to be a more solid, sustaining guitar with more pronounced character (IMHO). The neck is indeed rock solid, and it's a cannon with 11s. The build quality and attention to detail are perfect. It's a little harder to tell on the JM6 with the heavy Fano relicing, so it's tough to compare.

Also, the JM6 with trems are equipped with nylon saddles, which really darken the tone... which seems to me like the complete opposite of what you'd want from a JassMa... I mean, JM6. I also find the lower horn of the EJ design to be much better for playing while seated, and less of direct Fender derivative.

My take would be that Grosh has a slight edge on build quality, but again it's hard to tell and I've only played a handful of examples of each. If you want a more mellow, vintage tone the JM6 might be a consideration, though the JM6 with trem would need new saddles IMO.

All IMHO, but HIH!

5. Creepwood

Creepwood Member

Haven't played a Fano, but they appear to be top notch guitars. That said, my Electrajet Custom is a work of art. I can't imagine a better guitar - and those P90s... Yummmmm. Some of the best in the business, I'm sure (though I'd love to try Ron Thorn's staple tops). My only concern was that the action was a little high right out of the box, coupled with quite a bit of relief - it's easily tweakable, though, and you can bend until the cows come home.

More features that blow me away about the Electrajet:

- Flawless in terms of fit & finish, mind-blowing tobacco burst.
    - Amazing fretwork.
    - Smoothest neck I've ever played (oil-finished), most comfortable profile imaginable (med/lg roundback). Grosh's website says that the neck is easily 40% of the value of the entire guitar - I'd believe it.
    - Very interactive controls: Tone control is eminently usable on Don's P90s and yields fantastic tones, Volume control is equipped with treble bleed which I really like on this guitar
    - Very lightweight ash body, perfectly balanced guitar - someone paid attention while fitting neck and body.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  6. Goode

Goode Member

Thanks for those helpful insights. Doesn't seem like there are as many Fano supporters out there. I personally like the reliced look as long as it's mild. It seems there are concerns by some with the PBG about who is now making the Fano guitars. Now I need to see if I can get my hands on an EJ to try out

7. jklotz

jklotz Supporting Member

Grosh's are way underrated guitars. I can't imagine better fit and finish and attention to detail. Plus you get that awesome "cowboy tolex" case!

Let us know what you end up doing. Happy hunting!

kbgear likes this.
  8. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

Just wanted to mention that Fanos are possible to get without relicing (Option in Alt de Facto models). Every Fano that I have tried has been amazing guitar. I tried one GF6 few months ago and now I'm saving money for one :) Don't count Fanos out without trying them. Really nice guitars in my opinion.

9. Phil M

Phil M Member

10. Bunky

Bunky Member

What is the ballpark price on a used Electrajet Standard??

11. MT Buckaroo

MT Buckaroo Silver Supporting Member

I've owned both. I still have my EJ Std. Mostly that is a function of its greater versatility via the swimming pool pickup rout and the trem. Didn't love the Tonestyler tone pot on the Fano (although I could have changed that out). Neck was great on both, and build quality was great on both. EJ has slightly beefier frets, immaculately dressed. Headstock design - point Fano. Trem - point EJ. Fano will cost you more up front and hold its resale value a bit better. A used EJ is a heck of a lot of guitar for the money, but it you buy new you will take a big hit on resale. Hard to go wrong with either in truth.