Fans of the elusive NOS Nocaster: A pricing question

TMock

Calling all fans of THE big-neck tele.

I've been hunting for a great deal on a great NOS nocaster (butterscotch, honey, or vintage white). I won't pay the really high dealer prices, but the used pricing is all over the map. The unusual colors go used for around $1,800. They're cool looking, but I'm more of a traditionalist. I followed two traditional NOS ones on eBay, one brand new going for $2,100 and one used one listed for $2,600! :huh So (a) was the new one priced really well, (b) the used one priced really high, or (c) other? :D

Do any of you have a feel for what a good price is for a clean used NOS nocaster in a traditional color?

shuie

Silver Supporting Member
GC blew them out for ~$1600 maybe two years ago. Those were NOS, not the closet classics or relics. IMO, $1800 is fair, but about as high as I would go for a NOS. I was happy to take $1750 for a really great sounding 7lb relic with both cases and a spare set of Don Mare Broadcaster pickups about 6 months ago. There are a lot of them out there, so look for a good deal. You should be able to find a nice Nocaster for well under $2k these days.

TMock

GC blew them out for ~$1600 maybe two years ago. Those were NOS, not the closet classics or relics. IMO, $1800 is fair, but about as high as I would go for a NOS. I was happy to take $1750 for a really great sounding 7lb relic with both cases and a spare set of Don Mare Broadcaster pickups about 6 months ago. There are a lot of them out there, so look for a good deal. You should be able to find a nice Nocaster for well under $2k these days.

Wow! Good to know, Shuie! You probably just saved me a lot of dough, because I was pretty seriously eyeing up the one at $2,100.

shuie

Silver Supporting Member
If you can play it and it's great, then go for it. I'm not saying they are not worth more than $1800, just that I wouldn't pay more than that for one I bought on the web. Good luck.

carrjimi

Silver Supporting Member
I just bought a 2008 NOS from Wilwood Guitars for $2000. It was used in new condition. They sold the guitar to a guy for $2600 a month earlier and he traded it back for another guitar.

Wilwood special orders many of their nocaster with a 9.5 Radius and modern wiring. I'm sure that costs more.

i think $1800-2300 is a fair price for a Nocaster. I love mine.

There was one here, begging for a new home, just a few weeks ago.

Exact price I don't recall but less than either of those numbers. I remember me and a couple other guys explaining how we'd gotten unsold NOS No-Casters for amounts like $ 1,460.00; this sort of thing.

Flinto2002

I bought mine from GC about a year and a half ago for maybe $1475 or something like that.

At that price....well worth it, at $1800 ehh I dunno. The vintage radius and frets made it difficult to play, but the tone....wow, it gave up the goods.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom