*Fantastic* JMI Tone Bender Comparison Video Review

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by effcee, Feb 22, 2012.

1. effcee

effcee Member

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: JustNick is doing the best gear review videos around these days. It's all very detailed and informative, offering much more than just a noodling-around styled video. I, for one, find it a bit tough to make gear assessments based on my computer speakers alone. So if you, like me, are interested in making some well informed gear choices, check out JustNick!

Here's his latest sid-by-side comparison review -- this time, of JMI's Tone Bender series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_psPieIliQ

Thanks again, Nick! (from YT's SuperEffCee) :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  2. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Excellent. Just excellent.

3. effcee

effcee Member

Yup, dude's the best!

4. Guitar Fixation

Guitar Fixation Member

Great demo, thank you for posting the link! But now I need to go buy a Tone Bender MKI....

5. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Very nice, and suggests JMI rep for inferior fuzz is perhaps overstated by haters. -E

6. effcee

effcee Member

Yikes, I didn't know there was a group of JMI haters. Those things sound totally awesome to me, one and all!

7. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Holy god, that was so good. The MKI kicked my ass. I dug the MKIII, too, but the MKI just grabbed me as being pure rock. Crap. I need one now. Badly. Great, great demo.

8. erksin

erksin Member

Yeah - that Mk.1 sounds so killer. Of all the TB variants that's the one that tingles my loins. The way the harmonics stack on top of each other as it decays, the rip on the pick attack, the fact that it isn't overly bassy.

As usual another stellar demo by Nick!

9. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

It's not "inferior fuzz" that earns JMI/Musicground such a bad rep. The guys running the show are crooked.

10. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

True. The pedals and amps are usually quite highly regarded, but I wouldn't buy a vintage guitar off them!

11. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

Not a very good demo...

The guy had different settings on each pedal, setting each one at the same unity level and gain. How is that suppose to help differentiate each one when they are all set to sounding the same??

I can understand setting each one at unity level, but not gain. Each pedal should have been set at 12 o'clock for both settings so you can hear the level and gain differences between each unit and so forth. This would help distinguish their fuzz characteristics and level differences.

I'm not trying to troll, it's not a good demo in my opinion...

12. effcee

effcee Member

Hey, Stratman69, I'm trying to look up your gear reviews, but I can't seem to find the links. Can you help me out?

Ohhh... Never mind.

13. erksin

erksin Member

I thought the gain levels were fairly easy to distinguish - but IMO what the biggest differences are between all of them is their EQing and attack and the demo showcases those differences pretty well.

14. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

Nice one. If you can't take critics then you're in the wrong business.

If I was fortunate enough to actually have 5 different high end Tonebenders, then sure, I would make a better demo. Unfortunately, I don't have all the time and money to collect them all like they're damn Pokemon... Perhaps you have 5 different Tonebenders of each version to make a demo video of? :p

If you actually took the time to read my above post and understand what I was trying to say then maybe you would agree.

15. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

Hey all, thank you very, very much for the kind words. I'm really glad the demo was useful.

This is actually a good point. I thought about doing it that way for the reasons you suggest. But it can also be sonically confusing on a demo to have big volume and gain differences between the pedals--loud almost always sounds "better" on a recording.

So I figured I'd go the other way and actually try to get the pedals set up to sound as similar as possible to each other. I hoped that would emphasize the subtle but distinct differences in their tonal signatures and dynamics as opposed to their gain structures. But might not have been a bad idea to show the gain range and volume boost during the second part of the demo.

I actually appreciate this kind of feedback--I like to think about these things, and I'm always interested in different ways to approach demoing and using gear. So thanks!

n

16. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

Definitely.

The sound quality, playing, and layout was great! You did a good job, it's just demonstrating the significant differences between each one is what I found lacking.

It just helps when "some" viewers can be shown a better differentiation between each pedal, rather then set them all on the same unity level and gain. For some it's really hard to tell effects apart that way, others not so much. It also helps to hear not only the gain differences, but the volume differences too. Each pedal requires a different unity level and a lot of folks complain when their pedal isn't putting out enough output as they like, thus they usually have to crank them up all the way. Believe it or not, volume can play a big part in shaping the overall sound of a pedal. If you got a fuzzbox that needs to be turned up 3/4 of the way just to barely acheive unity level, then you're obviously not getting enough range in the tone and volume. The same factor applies to the gain knob. It's just nice to know how much range a pedal has compared to others, rather than basically dialing them all in to the same sound. That's why I would find it best to set them all at 12 o'clock for each setting and work your way up or down, then you can really tell the differences between each one and so on.

17. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

I thought it was a great demo. The tonal differences between the units was quite apparent to my ears (even between the MKII and MKII Professional), which was the point of the video as far as I understood it. Whether pedal A is louder or gainier than pedal B set with the knobs at noon, whilst clearly of interest to you, holds no value to me because I don't run a vintage fuzz at any setting other than cranked, like the units in the demo were, which is the classic bender sound IMO.

What I liked was the lack of ego getting in the way of the pedals. The demoer was happy to stick to one lick and let the pedals shine, and didn't feel compelled to show off his repotoire. I get really bored by these videos of some dude doing 40 riffs in 3 minutes. I'd rather hear 1 riff at several different settings so I can hear how the parameters change the tone, but no one seems to do that.

18. creedfan1975

creedfan1975 Member

i guess this is the right place for JMI to set up shop considering their reputation for being flakey like American boutwanque builders, infringing trademark and using their enclosures for counterfeit vintage pedals to name a few incidents. if you're looking for a MkI.5 or MkII go to Macari's where they still sell a much more faithful-to-original version of the pedal than Music Ground's hackjob.

19. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

I personally appreciate
    (a) the way the demo was made, its structure and just the correct amount of blah-blah and info (you can Google for days about them),
    (b) the sound quality and the simple, to-the-point licks without going same-old-blues or out-of-tune-bedroom-Malmsteen,
    (c) the fact that they were dialed to sound as close as possible. I also noticed that, but I would also never, ever say "it's not a good demo" (Jeez!) just because of something minor... It's actually better because we are able to hear their differences under a common comparison factor.

The only thing I would ask as extra, and something that is just 30 seconds work, is add what specific pedals were tested (price, link, if they are currently available from JMI or DAM etc) in the video description.

20. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Excellent demo and great playing.