Fareed Haque playing Grateful Dead songs

Dave Klausner

A few weeks back, a friend of mine (and amazing guitarist), Phil Schurger, e-mailed me to see if I wanted to sit in on bass on a gig the following Friday. I love playing with Phil, so of course I said yes. “Great, we are playing all Grateful Dead tunes, and we’re playing with Fareed Haque.” Sweet!

Phil studied with him some years ago, and Fareed sat in at one of Phil’s gigs back in March. Phil put some Dead tunes on the setlist, Fareed dug them, and the audience response was really good, so the idea was to try whole show like that. They had a gig booked in Indy that Saturday, and Phil booked one here in town the day before as a tune up, but Fareed’s bass player couldn’t make it, so I got to play.

I think it’s a really cool idea - Dead heads are pretty open to improv and jamming, and that music has a bit different (and maybe wider) appeal than Fareed’s typical music does. Folks really seemed to dig it.

The setlist turned out to be:

Cats Under the Stars
Lady With a Fan
The Music Never Stopped
Help On The Way >
Slipknot
Scarlet Begonias
Terrapin
Wharf Rat
Shakedown Street

Unbroken Chain
Estimated Prophet
Eyes of the World >
The Other One >
Drums >
Dark Star >
The Other One >
Let it Grow

Gomorrah

Unfortunately, I only have video through Estimated (there is no good place to put a camera in that club, and as folks would bump into the stand it was on, Phil was gradually pushed out of the picture), but I was waiting to post this until we had some stuff up on YouTube. Because of where the mic was, it picked up the left side of the stage a bit more, and I wish Fareed were louder on the recording, but I think there was some pretty cool music.

Here is Help On The Way > Slipknot with Fareed playing his custom Brian Galloup arch top:

Lady With a Fan with Fareed on a Strat:

Here is Estimated Prophet. Phil is starting to get pushed out of the picture, but I thought the jamming was pretty crazy:

swa

:dude

Awesome!
I'll have to look into Fareed more.
Nice bass playing, what is that thing?

G Man

Wow! Listening now, sounds great, looks fun. Nice work on the low end, and Fareed sounds right at home playing Dead. Thanks for the post.

Baminated

Yup, this idea worked back in 1999 with the jazz is dead project of Cobham, Lavitz, Alphonso Johnson, and Jimmy Herring, all of whom gave it more of a fusion/jazz rock vibe - and which i actually prefer to that of the countless original dead bootlegs spread out over the decades.

The Grateful Dead, to me, kinda skirts the edges of unintentionally sounding like those "shreds" videos , but with a full band playing live

magilla

michaelggguitar (IG)
Platinum Supporting Member
Fareed is a monster. I'll have to check these out.

Lihns

That is a mighty fine lookin setlist sir. I'll give it a listen when I'm off work ^_^

Gomorrah too? Nice!

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
Very cool. I especially like the jam on Estimated Prophet. Who's on drums? Alan Hertz? Whatever happened to Alan?

Dave Klausner

:dude

Awesome!
I'll have to look into Fareed more.
Nice bass playing, what is that thing?
Thanks! It's made by Tom Clement - http://www.clementbass.com

I had him make it for me back when I was having an issue with a pinched nerve in my neck, and needed something lightweight with no neck dive. He delivered a perfectly balanced 6 string that weighs 7.75 lbs - that's less than my Strat!

Trending Topics