Fargen Bastage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, May 17, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Any current (or previous) owners out there want to "chime" in (HA,HA) on this little guy? I just bought this off of DaveS in the emporium (Thanks Bud!) and I'm doing more research. I needed a small wattage home recording small form factor simple VOX tone machine with decent clean headroom but smooth breakup at sane volumes with respectable build quality and this one popped up. It's a very early model with the ef86, EL84 (can't be switched out, but I like EL84's), attenuation (doubt it's the London Power scaling but...), etc...
    Cabs/speakers to pair? (a blue is a little expensive so I might look for a cheaper derivative, maybe a Red Fang?). I'll be using this with a CIJ Tele <Voodoo pups> and a G&L ASAT.
    :dude
    Thanks!
    (and yes, I did read all of the current TGP info so far and I did listen to Ben's clips on the site. Nary a Tele clip though :(

2. Gasp100

You know me.... it will probably be in the emporium soon :NUTS

Clips sound great, but I don't know if this is the older ef86 version or the 12ax7 version. I assume it's the 12ax7 version which means the older might get even more chimey... nice.

http://www.fargenamps.com/ampbastage.html

3. Gasp100

4. Gasp100

Not one old school Fargen Bastage owner :confused:
    (Fargen Bastages!)

5. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

I had #4 and wish I'd have kept it. Man I'm an idiot.
    Great little amp, really soundd good. I loved mine believe it or not, through a Boogie MC90 Celestion. Also Greens and G12H30 worked well.

Never tried it with an Alnico.

6. ruby7829

ruby7829 Supporting Member

I have one that I got from Old Crow. It's an older one but newer than yours. Has an ef86 and an el34 which can be swapped for any octal tube. I really like the sound of a 6K6 but a KT88 sounded great too.

Regarding speakers I plugged it into my Mesa 1X12 cab with a vintage 30. SOunds great to me. Feels like a good match. Pretty rich and full sounding even at low volumes. Setting the Bastage to fat instead of thin really expands the sound nicely. I use the attenuation (not london power) and it's okay at best. If you're expecting to get cranked sounds at lower volumes, mine doesn't really offer that up. It does still sound great attenuated, just not what I expected.

The one thing about this amp is that it seems to take pedals very well. So, with a nice rich speaker that helps open the sound up a bit and a good OD you're in bedroom heaven. I really love mine and am curious to see what you think of it with the el84.

Oh yeah, like you, I use teles exclusively.

7. Gasp100

Cool, Thanks fellas! I'm not sold on attenuation in any form (even the London Power Scaling). I think it can come in handy for sure, but I plan on playing this pretty clean/slight breakup most of the time and then pushing it with pedals (when I get some...lol ;) so I probably won't crank it that much at home.
    I started getting worred when I did some research on the Vox AC4 (I guess the original amp was not designed that well?) but I knew that Ben's take on it (actually Ben's take on anything) would be an improvement.
    I can't wait to get this little amp in house. I'll be testing it through a 1x12 with a Texas Heat (More of a US flavor, but fairly neutral and very efficient to give it some extra beef). I'll also be testing it with my Avatar 2x12 with Celestion Classic Lead 80's -- that should sound big and nice.
    If it's a keeper I will most likely splurge for a Blue Alnico or a derivative. I love Voxy amps through the Blue, can't beat it.

8. bluesyjacuzzi

bluesyjacuzzi Member

Ive got a cool one that has the ef86 + el34etc. But it also has the attenuator and an additional 12ax7 that can be switched in an out. It also has a two tone maple and walnut cab. Ben told me he made 2 or 3 of these. Its a killer little amp and i have used it most with the el34 or a vintage 6l6 in it and without the 12ax7 switched on. Also the attenuator does not hurt the tone on this thing at all. Liked it so much I just bought a miniplex and I love that one two. these are the only two fargens Ive played but i love em both.