1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fargen Blackbird 30w VS 40w...Anyone compared the two?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jazz2Punk, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Jazz2Punk

Jazz2Punk Member

Thinking about picking up a Fargen Blackbird. I seem to be drawn to amps that have a 6V6 configuration so I'm leaning towards the 30w version.

Has anyone compared the two? Is the 30w loud enough to hang in a band scenario without breaking up (say clean funk vamps etc)?

What's the difference between the 30w and 40w tone wise? No clips of the 40w up on the Fargen site.

Thanks.

2. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

I have the 30W version. I have always had plenty of volume with that amp, and plenty of clean headtroom. I typically play at blues jams and the amp is just about right volume wise. Comparable to my vibrolux reverb (but the Fargen has more headroom and a more solid bass response). CLean enough for funk?.. - that I couldn't advise you on. But, to me, the amp has a slight break-up with the volume at 1/2 that is very nice. If you want ultra clean, then maybe the 40W is the way to go. B Fargen once told me the 40W version has a bit mor eheadroom than the 30W as you'd expect. Also, speaker choice will affect headroom greatly. The difference in volume can be huge when comparing the amp performance with an innefficient speaker to the amp performance with a highly efficeint speakers.

There is a difference between the 30W and 40W version (besides the 4-6V6 vs 2 6L6 output tube): The 30W version has a solid state (diode) rectifier and no choke, whereas the 40W version has a choke and a tube rectifier. I have never played the 40W version, but would expoect that it might have a little more "feel' when you dig into the guitar due to the sag from the tube rectifier. I don't know what the difference in tone/feel is with a choke equipped amplifier vs the 30W version, which uses a resistor in place of a choke.

the 30W BB is a nice amp...it has been reliable, and very portable..and sounds really good! Sometimes I wish I had (or could try) the 40W version to see if there is any significant difference.

Hope this helps.
    P.

3. Jazz2Punk

Jazz2Punk Member

Awesome info, thanks!

4. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I have been digging my BB 40 since I got it last spring. Fendery bliss with plenty of headroom, 1x12 loaded with a Tonker. It just smokes straight or loves pedals.
    Since the BB40 came to town, gone are
    Carr Rambler
    68 SFDR
    Allen Accomplice
    Great amp and Ben Fargen is very helpful with questions you may have.

5. Jazz2Punk

Jazz2Punk Member

How does the 40w hold up in a band situation? How much can you push it before it starts to break up?

6. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

Much more headroom than the SFDR, sounds more open than the Carr, more fuller sounding than the Allen. I play with some pretty loud guys in three different bands of jammers. The BB stays clean up to 12. I run it about 900-1000 and add dirt with a Red Snapper or BD2. Last night I used no reverb and only Carbon Copy delay to add some meat to notes.

7. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

picnic - what speaker are you using in your BB40?

Thanks

P.

8. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

Tonker. this morning I swapped out the Sovtek 5AR4 rec tube for a JJ GZ34. Got some more headroom, little more brightness and a snappier response. Not a big change itn tone, but I like what I hear.