Fargen Blackbird v. Bruno Cowtipper 22

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rubberbelly, Oct 19, 2005.

1. rubberbelly

rubberbelly Member

Anyone have experience with these 2? Which one has more gain? Which one has tighter bass? Which one has a bigger bass, in other words, more extended low end? Which one has a faster response? Which one clean up with guitar volume knob better (and still retains sparkle and shimmer)?

Anyone has any experience with both the 6V6 and 6L6 versions of the Blackbird? If so, what are the differences besides the obvious increase of headroom and loudness? Is one version dirtier than the other? Warmer?

I'm looking for something in the BF Fender category with reverb but is capable of more distortion than a dimed BFSR and doesn't lose low end clarity and punch when dimed. I would also prefer an amp that cleans up to a warm, slightly overdriven sounds that retains all sparkle and shimmer with a twist of guitar vol. knob. I'm not a big fan of ODS type overdrive and clean sounds. For the most part, the response is too fast for my liking. That makes the clean sounds too hard sounding and the slight breakup too aggressive. Any ideas?

2. hemlock

hemlock Guest

I've played exactly two Blackbirds- one 6v6 and one 6l6. The 6l6 was significantly sweeter to me because it had more headroom and still had a great breakup at reasonable volume. The 6v6 that I played also suffered from the sort of typical flabby bottom syndrome that those tubes are susceptible to. The 6l6 was tight and very full.

3. rubberbelly

rubberbelly Member

Thanks hemlock. Do the 6V6 and 6L6 have about the same about of distortion?

4. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

So in the Blackbird amp the end user cannot simply swap out 6v6's for 6l6's? I did not realize they were different models.

5. rubberbelly

rubberbelly Member

6. TDavis

TDavis Member

I have a "custom" Blackbird that Ben built for me..6L6 w/ Weber Bluedog.I haven't listened to the clips of both amps,but I do know from all the "good stuff" I've read here, both amps are at the "top o' the heap" and both are built by excellent tone craftsmen.I don't consider my Blackbird "thin or compressed,or buzzy. The Bass,Treble and Mid controls are very responsive, so I guess you could get a "thinner" tone if you want it.As far as changing from 6L6 to 6v6...I'd have to let Ben answer that one...I prefer the 6L6's.

7. hemlock

hemlock Guest

The 6l6 has more headroom and I like the overdrive characteristics of 6l6s more than 6v6. Both amps sounded great. I thought the 6l6 one was just a bit tighter, especially in the low end, a bit sparklier, and 'sang' a bit more when overdriven. Keep in mind a sample of two is not exactly comprehensive, though!

8. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

i've got a BB 6l6 w/ a blue dog and it's great. i really think it's a sweet sounding amp. nice tight cleans and very stringy smooth breakup. i also tried a weber clifornia, and i don't think the amp had enough headroom for that speaker so i went back tot he blue dog. ben said it could run 6v6's but he didn't recommend it. he said the tube swap would not make it sound like the 20w model

9. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I played one recently (6L6 Fargen). Oh my God it was sweet sounding. Very warm intertaining amp. Just played it clean with a little breakup and it was sweet. :)

Havent Played one of those Farm and Field Amps yet.

10. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

Wait til I tell Tag about this thread!:D

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Oh I'm shure hes chomping at the bit. Its all he can do not to post. :p

12. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Its the Cowtipper thats "chomping at the bit" ;)

I already did respond. :D I posted clips of both amps, but mine stopped working at soundclick for some reason, so I deleted them. As soon as I get it straightened out, I will repost.
    :BEER

You guys know what I think anywho. Listening is worth a thousand words, and you need FAT tone and the best reverb to tip a Cow. :AOK

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I knew you couldnt resist. Gotta hand it to ya. Your consistent. ;)