Fargen blackbird vs Valvetech 6v6 Vac

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 69strat, Oct 4, 2005.

1. 69strat

69strat Member

Has anyone compared these amps. My next amp is going to be a 6v6 deluxe type amp with reverb. What do you think?

2. Bix

Bix Member

I've played a Fargen 6v6 dual classic with a tweed side and blackbird side. I've recently ordered a 6v6 VAC after playing one at Rob's shop. The blackbird is very different in that it is a blackface inspired design and has similar tones. The Fargen tweed side of the dual classic and the 6v6 VAC are very close in my opinion. In fact, the clean tone on the VAC is why I am buying that amp, it is awesome. I haven't heard Rob's reverb.

Bix

3. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

...though not at the same time. YMMV, but basically I loved the Fargen and was a dumbass to sell it, and didn't care much for the Valvetech. Actually I've owned two of the Valvetechs (gave it two tries) but both were the "earlier" version and I understand it's been changed since then. My Blackbird was a "tweedified" version that only put out 20-something watts with 6L6, or could take 6V6. The Blackbird was in a fairly light, resonant pine cabinet, deep beautiful fendery tones up to a nice thick tweed crunch, lush 2-knob reverb. I had a decent sf Deluxe Reverb when I got the Blackbird, and the Fargen kicked the Fender's butt out the door very quickly. The Valvetechs were a similar size to the Blackbird, maybe even slightly smaller, but significantly heavier (plywood cab, sturdy though). I never liked the gain setup and quasi-channel-switching arrangement with the Valvetech, I could dial in two good sounds but had to twiddle a lot with the eq to go back and forth. Cleans were ok, the overdrive was too modern sounding to my ears, had a mesa slightly buzzy thin quality. Stock speakers on both amps as I recall, that's always a factor but I forget what they were exactly. Probably the Valvetech could be considered a more versatile amp, the Blackbird was very old school, probably like me :p fwiw, -Guy

4. Bix

Bix Member

Boy, two completely different takes on amps. This is what is so interesting about this forum. People hear things completely differently, or maybe its brand bias, or maybe it's technique. Who knows... I suppose the one thing we both agree on, Fargen's clean tone is great. I don't care for blackface tones all that well, just not my thing, but Fargen's tweed is awesome and I just happened to hear a simialr tone in the VAC.

Bix

5. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

yup, and the VAC has supposedly evolved a bit since the ones I tried a few years or so back, as I mentioned up above. Guess that's why folks always say "try before you buy, unless you live in Idaho" :p

6. Schlep

Schlep Member

69-

Owned both a 6V6 VT and a 6L6 BB -

VT was more Rock & Roll (more balls), louder and heavier.

BB was much more Fender-ish (it is after all supposed to be), lighter and more refined sounding.

Also, must agree with the buy that said the BB put the DR to shame - I plugged my BB into my '67 DR cab/speaker. Learned the cab makes a bigger difference than I thought (for an open back), and learned that I would be happier with the cash made from selling the DR than keeping it. Didn't sell it yet. I think Ben hit the mark - the BB improves upon some of the weaknesses of a DR - flubby low end and less brittle high end.

Anyway, kept the BB, sold the VT.

I must say the VT Hayseed (VOX clone) has my interest.

Craig

7. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    My amp (VAC Original) and a deluxe reverb are apples and oranges comparison. My amp is more in the tweed style clean(Ch 1) that can be switched down to be really clean with the AX7/AY7 switch.
    Channel 2 can go from gangley clean to death metal,all points in between. If you are into zz top, AC DC, metallica,tool,allman bros, Led Zep just about any rock tone this amp does it. You do have to put in the time to dial in the exact tone you are looking for.If your not into high gain, you simply unplug the footswitch, and the amp reverts back to an old 4 input, bright channel /normal channel vintage set up. You can jumper channels and run 2 guitars at a time, just like the old ones,with no funky dead controls.
    The amp has been upgraded over the years for better tone.
    I dont know of too many builders that dont come out with new mods for thier amps from time to time. The "F" mod is the big one,and LAST one for these amps.
    I had a deal where a guy was going to do some clips for me, that fell thoruogh, so I have scheduled some studio time to do them myself. They will be coming in the next few weeks.
    keep a look out for them,
    Rob

8. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

As the owner of a recent VAC with all updates, I have to say that the VAC covers some Fender tweed ground, but, as Rob says, it is a unique design.

The VAC's strength seems to fit a player who likes to have a wide palette from almost-tweed clean to uber-OD with no pedals. It is sort of cool to have this little vintage looking amp that sounds good clean, but also has the ability to sound like a modern monster. The Blackbird is a more conventional Fender style amp.....but better.

I also have one of Ben's Miniplex amps, so I can say on a first hand basis that Rob and Ben are a couple of the nicest, more sincere "hands-on" guys you could ever deal with. Furthermore, I am sure that either of these guys could meet your needs in a customized amp....but I think that they are both very busy. so you will have to get in line.

9. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

:dude :dude

10. 69strat

69strat Member

Thanks for all the reply, s guys. And thanks for your reply Rob. Now where,s my hayseed Rob? I,ve been waiting % weeks now. No really, thanks, and please, take your time.

11. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

Rob, I did some clips last weekend of a variety of VAC settings through a couple different cabinets. But as you know, my amp still has the original circuit, so I don't know if you'd be interested. I'm also not sure how they came out; the guy who recorded them for me has yet to supply me with the MP3s. At any rate, when I get them I'll e-mail you a couple and see what you think.

12. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi Chris,
    The jam files I got off the hamer board were wicked !!!!
    The wah in front sounded great.
    Send me any of your clips, Mr HFC moderator. Whats next, a spot on the Hamer R&D team?
    Rob

13. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

Yeah, I actually prefer to hear clips of amps in the context of other instruments in a band setting. The ones I did last week were close miced solo and VERY naked, and I ain't that good of a player! But again, I have yet to hear the final product so when I get 'em I'll let you be the judge.

In case anyone's wondering, the jam Rob's referring to is at the link below. Wah insanity starts at around 1:50 with some more soloing around 6:15:

http://musecafeonline.com/mcchris/05150507.MP3

14. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Cool clip! I have to say this....Bix's VAC is a TON-O-FUN!! The boost tone is just killer IMHO. The VAC had a lot of gain tones depending on the EQ settings. Prolly the most usefull EQ I have played with. At higher volume the am sags just right. Sort of a modern vintage sound. With the EMI Wizard, it nails the Malcome Tone from the early days, with-out a 4x12!