Fargen Blackbird

thesooze

Silver Supporting Member
Looking for people with experience with the

20 Watt 2x6V6 Head
30 Watt 4x6V6 Head
40 Watt 2x6L6 Head

What are the pros/cons of each of these variations? Tonal differences?

Up front- I want clean head room, a little break is fine at high volume. Tight bottom end- something good through 10s or 12s. Punchy mids- but I'm not looking for piercing highs. Just a straight-fender-clean-gone-boutique.

Thanks!

voojo

Looking for people with experience with the

20 Watt 2x6V6 Head
30 Watt 4x6V6 Head
40 Watt 2x6L6 Head

What are the pros/cons of each of these variations? Tonal differences?

Up front- I want clean head room, a little break is fine at high volume. Tight bottom end- something good through 10s or 12s. Punchy mids- but I'm not looking for piercing highs. Just a straight-fender-clean-gone-boutique.

Thanks!
I have the 30 Watt head, fantastic amp. I personally think the 30 Watt model is the way to go. You can pull two of the 6V6s for less wattage, and with a rebias you can run two (not four) 6L6s.

I think the 30 Watt has a great amount of headroom, about double the perceived headroom of the 20 Watt. Plus the 30 Watt model is solid state rectified, the 20 and 40 watt model have tube rectifiers. That means the 30 watt stays a bit tighter. I prefer that, and the reliability of the solid state.

The amp I have is the newer model with the bright switch and the new reverb circuit. It has the traditional blackface tones, as well as some other unique tones. With the bright switch on you can get a little (not a lot) of Vox flavor, but with a 6V6 slant. The amp gets pretty loud before it overdrives but when it does it's that sweet blackface overdrive. I use a Mojo Hand Copperhead to push it into overdrive at lower volumes and it just kills. Hope that helps!

Seth

magnus

Had a 20 W. It made way to much hiss so I sold it and lost money. First and last time I bought an anp unheard.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
I have the 30 Watt head, fantastic amp. I personally think the 30 Watt model is the way to go. You can pull two of the 6V6s for less wattage, and with a rebias you can run two (not four) 6L6s.

I think the 30 Watt has a great amount of headroom, about double the perceived headroom of the 20 Watt. Plus the 30 Watt model is solid state rectified, the 20 and 40 watt model have tube rectifiers. That means the 30 watt stays a bit tighter. I prefer that, and the reliability of the solid state.

The amp I have is the newer model with the bright switch and the new reverb circuit. It has the traditional blackface tones, as well as some other unique tones. With the bright switch on you can get a little (not a lot) of Vox flavor, but with a 6V6 slant. The amp gets pretty loud before it overdrives but when it does it's that sweet blackface overdrive. I use a Mojo Hand Copperhead to push it into overdrive at lower volumes and it just kills. Hope that helps!

Seth
I also have the 30 watt and I love it. I almost went with the 40, 6l6, but I have never had an issue with not having enough power or headroom with the 30. It will break up at a fairly loud volume. If you're gigging it and want some headroom, I would go with the 30 over the 20 for sure.

I'm not sure on your two statements though (about puling two tubes or running 6l6's). I have a 2006 BB with Mercury Mag transformers and he told me not to do either of the things you mention when I asked. Not sure on the LE version, but I don't think the design is that different except for the bright switch and reverb mod. Don't know for sure though.

voojo

I'm not sure on your two statements though (about pulling two tubes or running 6l6's). I have a 2006 BB with Mercury Mag transformers and he told me not to do either of the things you mention when I asked. Not sure on the LE version, but I don't think the design is that different except for the bright switch and reverb mod. Don't know for sure though.
Here is what Ben said in an email: "Yes you can remove two 6V6's or run two 6L6's if you like..." "When pulling 2 6v6's you do not need to rebias....when adding 6l6's you need to...otherwise you could burn up the tubes.......you will need a multimeter that can measure DC milivolts"

That being said, I have never felt the need to do either, as I think it sounds excellent with the 4 6V6s, and while it can get loud, it's not so loud that I would want to run 2 6V6s.

fullerplast

Any others?
The 40W is pretty tight, 20W is great if you only need the clean headroom of about a DR and want small/light, 30W gives the best of both IMHO, although it is still pretty tight and will not give you much low volume breakup. The 30W 2x12 sounds huge. All very good amps, excellent build and value.

madscientist

I've got a 30 watt 1x12 (naylor sd50)....Love the headroom and how it takes pedals. Huge, thick cleans and with a good od, it's just a massive sound. Reverb is nice and subtle, and the tone controls are quite sensitive.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Here is what Ben said in an email: "Yes you can remove two 6V6's or run two 6L6's if you like..." "When pulling 2 6v6's you do not need to rebias....when adding 6l6's you need to...otherwise you could burn up the tubes.......you will need a multimeter that can measure DC milivolts"
Cool. I just didn't want you to fry your amp and remembered having similar discussions with Ben about half power, etc. when I was ordering my Fargen.
Great amps from a great builder.

voojo

Cool. I just didn't want you to fry your amp and remembered having similar discussions with Ben about half power, etc. when I was ordering my Fargen.
Great amps from a great builder.
You are right though, always best to ask Ben, but as I said I will keep it the way it is. You are right though, they are well built great sounding amps!

Seth

pula58

Gold Supporting Member
I have a BB 30 combo. Lately I have been running it with two 6L6 (actually, they are 5881's). Sounds very good! I have not found the perfect speaker for it yet though...ah the tone quest! I think 30W is just about right for any time I have played out. I like to get a little "hair" on the amp (a little distortion) so, 30W seems to do that well. For me I don't think the 20W would do the trick...but I could be wrong!

P.

Guitarzan

I run a 40w head with a 2x12 loaded with eminence wizards. Amazing tone. Plenty of headroom but breaks up in just the right way at around half. Love the amp and it has performed flawlessly through a year of hard touring.

H_V_C

It sure is in a good way!! Breaks up around 5. You can dime it though and its not painful, sounds like Roy Buchanon.
Josh,

No disrespect to Roy, he was the man, but I would have to say your tone is lot better than Roy's was, at least to my ears.

I also use a custom 40 watt Fargen BB with emi wizards, and yea, it's a bad ass combo.

peace,
Ryan

Guitarzan

Josh,

No disrespect to Roy, he was the man, but I would have to say your tone is lot better than Roy's was, at least to my ears.

I also use a custom 40 watt Fargen BB with emi wizards, and yea, it's a bad ass combo.

peace,
Ryan
Thanks man! I saw that Dual Classic you have, it looks bad ass! How's the Vox side sound with 6l6?

H_V_C

Thanks man! I saw that Dual Classic you have, it looks bad ass! How's the Vox side sound with 6l6?
It's really pretty cool man. What I do is play through both channels simultaneously and tweak the eq to get a wider sound. It's a whole lot easier to carry around than a seperate super reverb and vox like I did for a while! It's also a whole lot easier to control volume.

Take it easy,
Ryan

Craftmatic

Gold Supporting Member
Just want to subscribe to this thread. I'm waiting for my BB 30 head to arrive in about 5 days (but who's counting?). :drool

Trending Topics