Fargen DRRI Rebuild - Has Anyone Done It?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by packermann, Jan 12, 2008.

1. packermann

packermann Member

2. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Sounds interesting!

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I did a similar job for a customer a while back. It was A LOT of work.

I can't say for sure because I didn't test each stage of the operation for tonal improvement, but I'd bet you a beer than the MM OT made the biggest difference (tonally).

4. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

For the price of the rebuild you can just sell the reissue and get a silverface and probably be money ahead.

I agree with Mike, I bet the OT transformer probably would make the biggest difference of the changes....

5. 67super

67super Supporting Member

+1

I picked up an early 68 DR a few months back for well under a grand. The 68's are completely BF inside.

6. packermann

packermann Member

Bump. Still wondering if anyone has done the Fargen DRRI rebuild.

7. Wayne

Wayne Member

The MM output transformer makes a huge difference. We used it in the Deluxe Reverb reissue rebuild MikeyMann Amplification did for me about 3 years ago (see tag line). There's a section on my website particular to Mercury Magnetics and their iron for a DR.

Wayne

8. dynac0mp

dynac0mp Member

Wow... I really like the DRRI, but I can tell that it has a greater potenial. I'm considering doing this. Asking Fargen about some of the details and will update this forum if I do it.

9. packermann

packermann Member

Dynac0mp,

I took the plunge and had Ben do this to my DRRI. The biggest difference is that it gave the DRRI much more sustain even at lower volume levels. I haven't had a chance to push the new configuration past 5 on the volume yet. I think this is where any DRRI really begins to shine. Overall, I am very pleased with the mods Ben did.

10. Wayne

Wayne Member

+1 for the Mercury Magnetics Output Transformer

11. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I'm having my DRRI gutted and rebuilt with new board and components including the MM. I'm keeping the cab and the rest of the stuff. A local builder is doing this for me.

12. NTBluesGuitar

NTBluesGuitar Member

I've got a local guy having me rebuild his DRRI as well here soon. I also recommended the MM OT upgrade.

BTW, Wayne, I've read your article on the DRRI rebuld a bunch of times. Lots of great information in there.

13. Wayne

Wayne Member

Great. Glad you enjoyed it!

14. dynac0mp

dynac0mp Member

I'm actually thinking to get David Allen to build me a new Accomplice 1x12 combo. They are just the right amount of what I need from the DRRI and nothing I don't need. Anybody had good luck with that one?

15. Wayne

Wayne Member

Not the Accomplice, but I'd bought a new 2 x 10 Old Flame head and cab from David Allen. It was a very fine amp.

16. Blueser

Blueser Member

Between spending $700 for a used DRRI, and another $1200 for the mods, you could have a Carr Rambler, which IMO is a better amp than Fargen's Blackbird, so I would think it will be better than a modded DRRI. That's where I'd put my money if I were looking in this space.

17. Blues-rocker

Blues-rocker Member

A couple of other options for the hand-wiring of the DRRI are Stu-Daddy amps and Torres Engineering. The page at Stu-Daddy amps on the hand-wiring is at the following link:

http://www.stu-daddyamps.com/servlet/Categories?category=Reissue+Makeovers

and the Torres Page:

http://torresengineering.com/reisfenamppo.html

You'll notice that at the moment, Stu-Daddy offers theirs for $1000 and Torres offers theirs for $495, but I don't think Stu-Daddy does quite all the things listed in the Fargen description, and you'll notice that the price on the Torres does not include transformers, though they can add transformers (and new tubes for that matter) if you want.

18. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

I got the accomplice, and I'm very happy with it.
    It's great for large and small venues and if it is too quite (never...) I mic it all the time anyways so you could just pump it through the monitor for a little "more"
    The Master Volume knob is very handy, gets you the nice "opened up" sound at most volumes, I don't use the raw but it will make it pretty hairy!