1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fargen Epic 30?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by p.snail, Dec 4, 2005.

1. p.snail

p.snail Member

Hi I have been checking out some different amps to replace my Matchless Clubman that I recently had to unload. I came across the Fargen Epic 30. Does anyone have any experience with this amp? Is it loud enough for gig use? How close to an AC30 does it get? Just curious. Thanks

2. bscepter

bscepter Member

Not sure about the Fargen (though I've heard nothing but good about his work), but if it's an AC30 you're after, you might try Rob Pierce of Valvetech amps. His "Hayseed 30" is an exact copy of the '63 JMI circuit (plus a 1/2 power switch and bypassable master volume). By all accounts, he does great work. Plus, you can choose your own cosmetics. And here's the killer part -- his amps are extremely economical.

The only catch is, there's a waiting list -- about three months currently. If you've got the time, though, you owe it to yourself to talk to Rob.

3. p.snail

p.snail Member

I know the Hayseed is well received here on TGP, but I think it's a little too far out of my price range. I only have about $600 to spend and I found a used Epic for close to that price. I can't believe what people are asking for the AC30CC's used. Chinese amps don't usually hold their value like that, but I guess it's really a good amp and is in demand. I don't really see the Valvetech ever falling in value either. The 3 month wait alone makes a used one more valuable.

4. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

I've been eyeballing that Epic too. I have a Fargen VOS. I can guarantee you that it's built well, and that Ben will take care of any issues it may possibly have. It's probably a killer amp.

5. bscepter

bscepter Member

For all their teething problems, those CCs are really good amps.

Rob dropped my Hayseed head off at the shipping place, so I'm hoping to see it in a couple of days. I'll let you guys know when it arrives.

6. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I have the Fargen Epic 30 DC and I think it's an amazing amp (it's the only amp I've really "settled down" with). I sold a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 2X10'' combo for it and never looked back ;)

The 1st channel is simply a great sounding Vox amp. The 2nd channel is an all out Marshall JTM, like the guys in AC-DC use. Mine is currently in the shop where Ben will be doing some more magic for it: new transformer, tubes, VOS mod to the Marshall channel and slightly revoiced Vox channel.

Ben is a great guy to deal with, he's an absolute sincere, cool and down-to-earth guy who cares about what the customer wants and is happy to deliver it any way he can (if there is something that is impossible, he will explain what alternatives can be done to make the customer happy). Not every amp has "it", but I've found "it" with his amps and his ears. I'm hooked with Fargen amps for life :dude

7. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

I have an Epic head, the single channel version. Its a great amp! 4xEL84, cathode based with very useable tone controls. Mine has a three-way switch that provides three voicings: top end boost, normal, and a scooped mid blackface type tone. Also has a 1/2 power switch.

The clean sounds are incredible. The overdriven sounds are very vox-like with a touch of Marshall in there. Great bottom end for a el84 amp.

8. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Ditto. I have a deep love affair going with my Epic 30 DC.

9. Amplite

Amplite Member

I love my Epic 30 1x12 (Tonker) combo! Tone conrtols cover a wide spectrum. Ben is Tops!!:dude

10. I just got my Maxiplex today. Cant wait to play it tomorrow.
    tony

11. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I own a Fargen and a Valvetech. Both are great builders. Either one will work with you on upgrades and mods on their products.

I am in line for my next Valvetech, which will be a Hayseed, but finding a Fargen Epic 30 for about $600 seems like a really hard deal to pass up-- and you will never get hurt at that price