Fargen Mini PLex - 25 watt version

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rhollyday, Jul 13, 2008.

1. rhollyday

rhollyday Silver Supporting Member

Folks:

Wondering if any of you have this amp, and what your thoughts are?

I had Ben build me a 25 watt version of the Mini Plex II as I thought it would have more giging flexability then the 12 watt version.

I believe the difference between this amp and the regular 12 watt mini plex II is my amp uses both tubes together in a cathode biased arrangement vs. the 12 watt version which I believe is in a single ended configuration. (Bear with me as I am not an EE.)

Anyway, I just wanted to express my admiration for Ben, his products specifically this amp and the whole purchasing process with him.

I am pretty new to the Marshall style amps but have recently been broadening my tonal search to include this type of amp.

I am mostly a strat and sometimes tele player and prefer that semi clean edge of breakup sound. I have played several Marshall 18 watt amps as well as the Reinhadt 18 watt which was killer.

I find that my Mini plex II 25 watt has so many great tones in it and am impressed with all the eq options available, 60's/70's/80's switch, boast switch, power-scaling mid control, presence etc...It will take some time to get fully familiar with all of these controls. THe amp gives my Strat a wonderful singing quality.

But more importantly, I love the fundamental tones of the amp with all controls set to flat (12 o'clock) In the case of the mini plex II, it is one of the best amps I have ever played. My reference amp is my Clark Bandmaster tweed clone. I am not into super clean amps for my style of playing.

(I raise my hand as an admitted gear junkie!)

That is my acid test when trying out an amp, If the fundamental tones are not good after about 2 minutes of tweeking, I move on..

Interested in getting your thoughts on this amp..

Thanks

2. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Congratulations. I've been trying to Buy the 12w version here on TGP, but they must be good since no one is selling them :). Three months is a long time to wait for someone as impatient as I am...... I'm jealous of you right now!!!

:AOK

3. 59flo

59flo Member

mine will be here next Friday:banana

4. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

I don't have the 25 watt version, mine is the regular one---but it is simply a superb amp. I can't get enough of the different tones in this thing. And with the tube buffered effects loop in mine, there are even more cool sounds to explore.

Ben is definitely at the top of his game these days and he's one of the nicest and most helpful guys I've met in this industry.

I can honestly say that all the Marshall style tones I ever wanted are right here in this amp. But with the tube-swapping options, the tonal palette doesn't end there. You guys need to check out the alt-country raunch you can get with a set of 6L6 tubes in there.

Great guy, great amp, and a low-volume player's dream.

5. scott58

scott58 Member

The reglar 12 watt is what i'm saving for also.

6. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

My next GAS dream amp = Mini-Plex :drool. Love my Fargen Blackbird 30.