Fargen Mini Plex MK II Players – Who’s out there?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pgurlea, Sep 7, 2008.

1. pgurlea

pgurlea Shallow Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have had my Fargen MK II just over a month and I am still discovering all the sounds of this amp. I was wondering, who else here is using this amp, what tubes are you using, what Decade mode do you like and do you use the Velvet Overdrive Special (VOS)?
    I have gone through several tube sets and my personal preference so far has been using KT-66s in the 60’s Decade mode (JTM 45). The 70s and 80s mode sound great as well but so far, I’m stuck in the 60’s.:hiP I am still getting to know the VOS setting and need to spend more time with the amp before I can give you an opinion. I bought this for low volume studio use, it is fitted with London Power Scaling, and this amp has delivered in spades. Righteous Marshall tones at lower volumes with lots of options.
    I am interested to hear from you.
    Take Care,
    Paul

2. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

I am VERY interested in this amp as well.

3. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

I love this amp so very much.

I use all decade settings, but lately I've been loving it in 70s mode being pushed by a Timmy. I get great VH/Dokken tones there.

I'm using the Mullard EL-34s, though I have some TAD short-bottle 6L6 tubes that I like and also some 5881s. I even have switched it to one-tube mode and used a blackplate RCA 6V6 and thought is sounded great.

Mine has the tube-buffered effects loop and I run a ThunderTweak delay and a Dr. Scientist Reverberator in the loop.

I can't say enough good things about this amp and about Ben's service.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. TroyHamilton

TroyHamilton Supporting Member

How would one of these compare to a Suhr Badger?

5. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I really like my Fargen Miniplex Mk. 2. Haven't had it long enough to really explore its tonal versatility. I love the sounds I get out of it. I use it mostly in the 70's decade followed by the 80's decade. The way I find myself playing it the most right now is to set it at some break-up/driven tones, and then I push it with a Geekmacdaddy's British Ball Breaker pedal. Heavenly Marshall-tones at managable volume levels. Haven't used the VOS side much. Got this for it's British voiced tones.

This Mk. 2 version is a custom shop which has 2 channels: the first is an upgraded Mk. 1 channel and the second the Mk. 2 channel. It also has an effects loop and a 1/2 power switch. The power scaling works for both channels. The difference to me seems that the Mk. 1 has a more clean headroom (keep in context that this is a 12w amp), and the Mk. 2 channel excels at its driven tones.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Holy Crap! That is on badass Mk2. Nice.

7. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Thanks for that. It is. You're partly to blame :D. When researching the amp I did PM you with questions.... Very happy with it :dude.

8. TroyHamilton

TroyHamilton Supporting Member

How much does such a beautiful amp set one back?

9. 4styx

4styx Member

The British Ball Breaker is definately THE pedal for these amps.:AOK

10. pgurlea

I can't wait to hear what you think. I am by no means an authority on Marshall amps but if you are after vintage Marshall tones you are going to love this amp. Are you having yours custom built?
    Paul

11. pgurlea

Sorry Dude, I have not played a Badger. The Badger clips sound great but you need to hear from somebody who has played both.
    Good luck,
    Paul

12. pgurlea

Your purple rig looks great. I am running mine with a Greenback and a 12GH30. Hmmm, two Greenbacks would sound good.

13. pgurlea

WoW, that is nice! You are the third person that said they really liked the 70's (Plexi JMP) mode. I need to give that a closer listen. Can you educate me on the Marshall Plexi JMP amp? Wisdom brings greater appreciation and right now, I am ignorant with regard to this model Marshall.
    Thanks,
    Paul

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  14. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

Mighty Plex MK2 user here. I've had it just over a month and I'm completely in love with it.

15. pgurlea

Dude :drink,
    What mode are you digging?
    Take Care,
    Paul

16. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

There is also the isolated VOS version, of course....

[​IMG]

17. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

Hey Paul,
    I haven't even flipped the switch from British over to VOS yet! I enjoy all 3 modes (60's, 70's 80's) equally for different reasons and flavors. I really love the Marshally tones from this beast. These are the tones I wanted from two other previous custom builders that I just couldn't quite adequately communicate across.

Ben has been super great to work with and if I ever have another custom amp built, Ben will be the guy I'll call. I'd have him build me a two channel, footswitchable with a Fender clean circuit for one channel and probably the 80's Mightly Plex Mk2/Marshall mode on the other.

Hat's off to ya, Ben. I love this doggone thing!
    [​IMG]

18. Peter van Dorst

Peter van Dorst Member

Does anybody talked to Ben lately? I'm living in Europe and ordered my second Fargen amp in may this year. 3weeks ago I got a email from Ben he was waiting on some items that were in backorder. I just sent him an email for an update how things were going and I got an anwser he is out of buisiness till sept 29th.It will be alright I know but are more people waiting for 5 months on their amp?

19. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

Yeah I think Ben is taking a well deserved break. He's usually very fast to put his orders together but some amps are slower than others. The Mightyplex MKII is to my knowledge the only example it took five months (from announcement of that model) to get the initial ones out because of face plates and other issues. I am sure that this will be reduced as production of that amp ramps up.

20. Peter van Dorst

Peter van Dorst Member

Ben just emailed me . Amp will be finished on september 30th. Great news.
    I'll let you know how it sounds. It's a dual classic with one channel mighty plex mkII and one channel olde 800.