Fargen Mini-Plex MKII vs Reinhardt Mini-Me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mr.Woody, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Mr.Woody

Mr.Woody Supporting Member

Anyone have enough experience with these two to give a good comparison? I'm looking at 90% of my playing being in an apartment with a strat. I want an amp that doesn't need pedals AT ALL. Sure i'll use them live, but in the apartment and for recording, i'd rather just plug straight in. I'm looking for JCM800 territory....maybe even modded JCM800 territory. The 8 watts of the mini me should suffice for me volume wise, even at our jam sessions, so i know the Fargen will work. I also like that the Fargen can use different power tubes. I'll be using my recently acquired Reihnardt 2x12 cab with the R65H-LC speakers and will not be swapping speakers out any time soon. The Fargen looks infinitely better than the mini-me and it's sharpie faceplate and no piping/swoosh, but that only really matters to my wife ;)

I just got an MI-6 a couple weeks ago, and have decided i want something higher gain at lower volume. Even with the power scaling, i can't get what i'm looking for without pedals.

So.......any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Woody

2. creakyknee

creakyknee Gold Supporting Member

Never had a Fargen, but have heard lots of great things about Ben's amps. I did, however, pick up a Mini-me a few months ago and it is the BEST low volume, high gain amp I have ever owned (Reinhardt 18, Mercury, Badger 18 and 30). I really dig it and find that the master works better than power scaling for really, really quiet playing. Just MHO and YMMV.

peace

3. Mr.Woody

thanks man. that's the kinda stuff i wanna hear :)

4. Mr.Woody

bump for future reference material :) looks like i will be keeping the MI-6. Even if i have to use pedals, it just sounds so good. Plus it's a freaking work of art. Sue does good work.

5. Mr.Woody

just a bump for a few more opinions. still thinking about selling some more gear and possibly picking up one of these.........anyone?

6. Uli Jon Blackmore

Uli Jon Blackmore Supporting Member

I have the Fargen MkII. Incredible, but I wouldn't call it HIGH gain. Even on 80s mode it is not overly gainy, just hard rock (at least with my strat with lower powered pickups) The master is really effective and the scaling is very effective until you get to whisper volumes where, despite what some say, no attenuator or scaling really sounds the same as full vol. Don't get me wrong, the Fargen is my favorite amp of those that I have owned including a 1978 JMP.

7. Mr.Woody

if it pretty hard rock with a strat/lowered pickups, it will most likely be enough. every clip i've heard has had enough for me.

8. bassethound

bassethound Member

I'm addicted to buying and selling boutique amps. I'd never dream of selling my Mini-Plex. So many great sounds in that amp.:rockin

9. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Mini plex is very cool, but it doesn't seem to have the gain on tap of the mini-me.

It's closer to a massonette IMO.

The Mini Me is almost a shrunken Reinhardt Storm.
    Nice modded marshally tones..and then some.

10. socalscott

socalscott Member

Apt. levels and great saturated tube amp tone sans pedals. For the trial and error. Oh and costs. This I have pursued with 1/2W and scaling 2W.
    Although my scaled 2W TW Express based head is very good. It is compromised and not so flexible, i.e. rockin' the git vol pot.

Why am I content with an Tech21 pedal(sans spkr sim) hitting an old DG-stomp(eq, effects and head phone out) thru. two 1x12 cabs(efficient spl)?

I'll keep it fairly short.
    SS sims are better at very limited db's. I can use my git vol to go from wall of Recto to Fdr BM. A low watt or scaled tube version of a Marshall or whatever is a compromise from the get go. Heck, most users of booteek amps insist on using booteek pedals.

11. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

I had a Fargen Miniplex II for a while and I now have a Mini-Me (as well as a MI-6). I would say that the cleans on the Mini-Me are stronger in the sense of better balanced and fuller...but it has been several years since I had the Mini-plex and so take that for what it is worth...I liked the Miniplex and the scaling was very effective but I would say that the Mini-Me has a lot of tones in there as well with the 2 volumes and pull-boost and plenty of gain for most tastes...Bob told me as well that the amp was a mini-Storm and the master is really effective...you can get great high-gain sounds at low volume...can't go wrong with either one, I think. The Mini-Me might be harder to find now that Bob isn't making them at the forseeable future.

12. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

I also didn't quite bond with the gainier side of the Miniplex. I really like the gainier tones on the Mini-Me as they seem crisper to me than the Fargen if that makes any sense and I found the Miniplex kind of mushed out at higher gain but I probably didn't give it enough time and sold it too quickly...but something else came up and I needed to sell something...I suspect part of the problem was pilot error and I would love to try one again some day.

13. sweetrock

sweetrock Member

:beer

Wow , this will be really hard !

:facepalm

14. Mr.Woody

Almost a year later and I'm still torn between the Bambino and mini-me. I was about to pull the trigger in a bambino, but had some unexpected bills. Now I thunk I might be leaning back the other direction. Either way, i still have no $ for it lol. I put a couple guitars and a speaker cab on c-list a few days ago, maybe that will cash in

15. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Anybody?: Are there many mini me's out there? Did Bob start up new production? I haven't seen many for sale at all. The Miniplex has been around for many years and seem plentiful.

16. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Do you have a lead for getting a mini-me? B/c Reinhardt is out of the business and I've found it damn near impossible to locate anything other than an 18 watter.

17. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Hard to find. It was a relatively new model when he hung up his iron.

18's were a bread and butter amp. He sold a ton of those, which is why they're around.

18. Mr.Woody

I have a couple possibles.....at least I did a while back

19. myaudiodna

myaudiodna Member

I have a MightyPlex MKII, which is just a 30 watt version of the miniplex, and I can't imagine a better sounding marshall clone. With the decade switch, it absolutely NAILS JTM/JMP/JCM tones all day long. As far as at home practice and recording goes, there is no better Marshall style amp to have as far as I'm concerned. Now if only Ben would make a fender version of this that did Tweed/Blackface/Brownface tones, then I'd have every possible tone I could ever want.

20. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Yeah, that's what I figured. I never should have sold my Titan, but damn GAS got the best of me.