Fargen Mini Plexi MK I

hank57

Platinum Supporting Member
I found one of these for a good price, or at least I think its a good price, and wanted to know you guys think of these amps. It is the Mark I and it's about $750 shipped to me. I have made and played through a JTM45 and JMP50 2204 and liked the 2204 a lot.

Is this just a raunchy amp for lead or is it great for a clean sound too?

bbaug14

Silver Supporting Member
The MK1 will definitely do some nice Plexi cleans with the gain down and the master up. The MK1 had less gain than what Ben is currently building too, so it's definitely more true to form Marshall. At $750, it's a no-brainer if you're looking for Plexi/Jcm800 type tones all in one small convenient package.

digiTED

rock > talk
$750 is pretty fair for both seller and buyer at the moment assuming it's pretty clean. It's also a STEAL in the tone per dollar equation.

I had a MKI for a while and really loved it. I reluctantly let her go to make my lifelong dream of owning a cherry 335 Dot a reality.

I thought the clean to edge zone was just killer. It's architecture really showcases the different personalities of output tubes, too. It's a cathode bias parallel single-ended setup so you can mix-n-match with no bias adjustments.

With a RCA or Philips in v1 and a pair of 6L6 you can get into blackface territory thanks to the wide range of the tone stack (mids down, 70's mode). I really liked the TAD 6L6 WGC (?) short bottles.

With a RFT and EL34s it was an encyclopedia of classic rock tones. So much fun. All three decades were killer. With humbuckers the 80's mode got pretty hot too.

My favorite combo was an Amperex Bugle Boy into Gold Lion KT77s. So chimey. In 60's mode and a Celestion Blue I was approaching Top Boost flavors but with more balls.

hank57

Platinum Supporting Member
So it takes KT66 KT77 EL34 6L6? Very nice. It sounds like a great amp.

digiTED

rock > talk
So it takes KT66 KT77 EL34 6L6? Very nice. It sounds like a great amp.
Yup, any octal (I believe). You mix and match, too. I liked a KT77 and KT66 for example through a 12" Gold.

If yours has the half-power switch, it will disconnect one of the parallel output paths, i.e just running one of the output tubes (forget which one).

la noise

Is this the one on the Guitar Center Used site?? :huh

If so, I had been eying this for some time. Just concerned that
it has been sitting in the store for so long, and had a couple of
"price drops" already without being sold.

If not, never mind. :)

Can't say about the MKI, but I have the Mini Plex MKII and I love this thing. If the MKI is anything like this one, that is a steal of a price.
I've had it for about a month now and have been playing guitar at least 3 hours a day, everyday. I never do that!

I'm playing right now.

Muffdriver

Silver Supporting Member
Just keep in mind you really need a pedal with the mki. There's a rockytop 50watt plexi in the emporium for, i think like $100 more. Not too familiar with rockytop but you might want to check it out.

Trending Topics