• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fargen mkII mini-plex question

mary04

I have in reach a Fargen mkII mini-plex/Framus 2x12 cab with closed back (V30). Anyone know if this is a good combination, and does the mini-plex cut trough the mix in a band situation? (small places, pubs,etc).

Anyone got an opinion?

Veritas

Gold Supporting Member
I have an original version Mini-Plex MKI, not the new version. It cuts through in a band situation without a problem. I can only imagine that the new ones cut through just as well. I've received many compliments on my tone when playing with that amp.

utterhack

Closed-back 2x12 with V30s seems like bread and butter for a marshall-voiced amp. iirc Ben goes with G12H30/V30.

mary04

Well, just got back from the musicstore were I tried the MP/Framus. Played with a LP Standard with Burstbucker pro`s. To be quite honest I was a bit disappointet. The MP didn`t sound anything like the youtubedemo with Ben. It lacked that sparkly glassy overdrive I was hoping for. Compared to my Diezel Einstein the MP sounded weak and muddy and without bottom. Maybe it was the cab, maybe it was a bad tube? I dont know. Next amp to try is the Suhr Badger, which I have high expectations for.

schmerf

I was playing through a Mini Plex MKI 1x12" with an Eminence Wizard right before posting this and it it sounds pretty bright and clear to me.

PlexiFuzz

I know karate. Voodoo, too.
Well, just got back from the musicstore were I tried the MP/Framus. Played with a LP Standard with Burstbucker pro`s. To be quite honest I was a bit disappointet. The MP didn`t sound anything like the youtubedemo with Ben. It lacked that sparkly glassy overdrive I was hoping for. Compared to my Diezel Einstein the MP sounded weak and muddy and without bottom. Maybe it was the cab, maybe it was a bad tube? I dont know. Next amp to try is the Suhr Badger, which I have high expectations for.
That's a shame. I think there might have been something wrong with that setup (either with the amp or the cab). I have the MPII in a modified open back with 2 greenbacks and I get very clear glassy tones when desired. And I never lack for bottom end with this thing.

I don't know your experience with power scaling, but it's possible to dial in some pretty bad tones if you don't have the power and drive set correctly. Maybe that contributed, too?

mary04

I admit I have no experience with power scaling. It could be I dialed in some bad settings. And I agree, its a shame, because I really really liked what I heard on the youtube demo. Please advice me on some usable settings, and I`m more than happy to give it another try.

schmerf

If you go to the Fargen website and click on the power scaling link under the Mini Plex it shows some settings.

schmerf

You are welcome. I just got mine. It is the MKI and I'm still fiddling with dialing it in to my taste.

Trotter

I owned a a MiniPlex MKII and found it to be very speaker picky. I didn't care for the V-30's to be honest... G12M Greenbacks sounded pretty good though. I was surprised to read you thought it lacked bottom-end. Mine had too much bottom-end and always was a bit too boomy/bassy for my taste!

mary04

I owned a a MiniPlex MKII and found it to be very speaker picky. I didn't care for the V-30's to be honest... G12M Greenbacks sounded pretty good though. I was surprised to read you thought it lacked bottom-end. Mine had too much bottom-end and always was a bit too boomy/bassy for my taste!
I`m gonna give it another try tomorrow working a bit more with adjusting the power scaling. Hopefully I can dial in that fabelous plexisound being more aware of the scaling settings.

I also noticed the speaker issue. I`m gonna try different cabs!

Thank you!

utterhack

I`m gonna give it another try tomorrow working a bit more with adjusting the power scaling. Hopefully I can dial in that fabelous plexisound being more aware of the scaling settings.

I also noticed the speaker issue. I`m gonna try different cabs!

Thank you!
I'd start by trying to dial it in at full power.

As you turn up the power scaling you'll need to turn down the preamp and master volumes to compensate. If you leave them where they were on full... ugliness will happen.

mary04

I'd start by trying to dial it in at full power.

As you turn up the power scaling you'll need to turn down the preamp and master volumes to compensate. If you leave them where they were on full... ugliness will happen.

Ugliness!! He He... Funny!

PlexiFuzz

I know karate. Voodoo, too.
Dialing the Master and Power Scaling down at a 1:1 ratio is usually a pretty good start.

I, personally, have found the settings on Ben's site not to work very well for me. For me, as long as I dial the PS in as above (maybe with the MV lagging a little behind) and dial it in like a normal amp, it sounds beautiful.

As for the other amp settigns, the amp sounds pretty good with all tone controls at noon, though I tend to turn up/down the bass with lower/higher gain respectively. The mid control is really great on this amp in my opinion.

Most often these days, I play in 70s mode with the bass at 11:30, the mids at 2:30, and the treble at noon. Gain is at 3:00 and PS and volume to taste. I get a good crunch with my LP and it cleans up nicely at about 5 on the LP's volume knob.

Caveat: Mine has a different cab, speakers, tubes AND I use Ben's tube-buffered effects loop most of the time, so you might not get the same results.

crazyForce

Silver Supporting Member

Really?! I absolutely love the demos of the Marshall inspired Fargens I've heard. Maybe that's good for me to hear though. I was supposed to have tamed my amp lust for the next few years until I graduate. And when I do....mwahHAHAHAAA! *inner beast unleashed*

down! DOWN! I say!!

Trending Topics