Fargen Olde' 800 ....anyone played, heard or own one??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fretmaster, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I've been a fan of Ben's amps since I owned one of his first Bordeaux's way back. An early JCM800 style amp could be useful on my current project. If this amp is consistant with all Ben's other offerings this could be really cool. Anyone with any experience or maybe has just heard or played one and can offer some feedback I'd love to hear it.

Thanks, Steve

2. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

http://www.fargenamps.com/2005ampshow.htm

I hadn't heard of it until you brought it up. If it's anything like my '83 4010 (1x12), I'll bet lots of people will dig this amp. Would love to take it for a spin. Wonder what the asking price is compared to a used JCM 800. I'll be watching for reviews of this piece---great potential.

3. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I heard one at the Amp show and it sound real Good,a lot of harmonic sounds and very easy to get that Dumble type of feed back control.
    and it was going to sell around 1600.00

4. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

curious... does it REALLY do the hot rodded jcm 800 thang?

5. FUSER

FUSER Member

Interesting.

From the pics, there seems to be a master on this.

Can anyone confirm this?

6. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Ben's a master at master vols. He brought one to my place a month or so ago and it was a monsta!! Great, great amp.

jon

7. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

FUSER,

It is indeed a master volume amp. I have pics and info in the dealers emporium and on my DestroyAllGuitars site.

deluxemeat,
    The Olde 800 is designed specifically to do the hot rodded JCM800 and more. IMO it delivers the goods in a big way. Bigger thicker and much more harmonically rich than the original 800.

8. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

hi cliff, thanks! so- we talkin soldano/ bogner territories here?

9. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

Very Marshall sounding all the way through, but thicker and with more gain on tap. Very responsive to your guitar's volume and your touch at any setting. The ideal way to work this amp is to set it for maximum scream and as you back your guitar down you'll get a good Plexi crunch to clean.

10. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

hi cliff! sound slike my kinda amp! can't wait for the first one to hit nyc so i can try it!

11. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

I can have one shipped to my studio on Long Island if you are serious about giving it a spin. The white one in the photos is available as set with the white cab or I can have a black tolex shipped if it's ready.
    You are welcome anytime to come and demo the amps. I'll need to arrange shipping and a time/day for the studio to be available, but it's no problem.

12. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

thanks cliff, when i've got time i'll set a date, bring one of my gmps and come on in and put one through the paces.
    so from your experience how 'heavy' can some fargen amps get?
    i've also read on hc.com that ben can make some really hi gain custom stuff.
    when i want heavy i need it soldano, bogner heavy. the 'modded marshall to the max' kinda thing.

13. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

The Fargen SCO ( my sig amp) is IMO the finest mid to high gain 6L6 based amp I've ever heard. It fills the high gain slot in my studio and has sonic-ally, far surpassed any competition. Any amp could have that slot but the SCO owns it. Many have tried to dethrone it and none have succeeded and the competition has been stiff. Amps in the 4K to 40K range have been stacked against it and there have been many here to judge and witness.

14. myles111

myles111 Member

Heard it at the 2006 L.A. Amp Show ... played it at the show .... heard a lot of great players play it at the show ... it's a winner.

[​IMG]

15. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

i hope there are clips soon. great reviews and pictures don't do it for me. and too many amps say they've captured the "magic" of the 800.
    i hope clips are on the way!

16. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

deluxemeat,

With clips, you have a mic, preamp, channel strip etc all coloring the sound of the amp. It's fine but actually playing the amp is the best way to judge it. Come on out to my studio where you can open it up and mix it with different speakers and cabs and we can record you playing it.
    You're in NY and always welcome here. We'll feed you and make you feel right at home.

17. Tonebender

Tonebender Supporting Member

Will there be a 100 watt version?

18. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

No plans at the moment as this a very loud 50. I think if you heard the 50 you wouldn't want for more and would never guess that it was not a 100 unless told so.
    I'm sure we could make a custom 100 watt version if needed but again I would highly recommend you play the 50 first. Moving to 100 watts is also going to effect the overall tone and feel of the amp as you will be dealing with a different output section.

19. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

i'm sure using different tubes and cabs/speakers can make it "feel" louder than it prob already is.
    and from what i hear; that's plenty.

20. KLB

KLB Member

It would be interesting to compare the Fargen Olde' 800 with the D13 LDW 17/39.