Fargen Super Collider Let's hear it!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by joemesser, Jan 11, 2008.

1. joemesser

joemesser Member

I have one on order, but it's not here yet and I can't take it anymore!

Let's hear it from you Collider guys.....hows it going?

Got clips??

2. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Here's a quickie demo I recorded for my band with all 3 guitar parts played on the Super Collider. The rhythm is the clean channel and the lead and solo are the dirty channel. All into an AxeTrak, some compression added in the software.

http://tempusfugitives.articulateimages.com/GoodDemos/ChoppedLiver20071215.mp3

The usual apologies for the clams and so on. Just trying to teach the fellas the tune. Not sure these are anything Ben would want his amp judged by, but it gives you an idea of what it'll do low gain/roots rockish.

3. joemesser

joemesser Member

Thank you sooo much for the clip, decay-o-caster-sir! Very kind of you to help a jonesing gearhead in need. My amp's taking quite a bit longer than quoted, and I sold my other 2 amps already so I'd have the funds together when 'Ol Cliff came a-callin. Hopefully 2 more weeks....:messedup

That's a fun tune, and I do enjoy the guitar tone quite a bit. Very pure sounding guitar parts. Bouncy clean tone and some nice smelling dirt. A good timey rock tune with some Zappa-ish silliness, I like it!

Has anyone told you you're voice sounds a little like Jello Biafra's (Dead Kennedy's if ya don't know)? ......If that's you singing.

How are you digging your Collider?

4. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I'm lovin' my Collider - I've got some insane amps so it's not my only good one, but it's one that can do practically anything I need it to and it's what I use most of the time for recording my own stuff unless I specifically want Marshall- or Tweed-equivalent.

I can't hit pitch with any degree of consistency or accuracy, so I mostly aim to sing like Tom Waits, but I'm good with Jello B! Thanks for the kind words!

More Super Colliderishness, totally clean:
    http://tempusfugitives.articulateimages.com/Clips/LipstickSCOFragment.mp3

5. joemesser

joemesser Member

Oooooh, now that clip is getting into some very tasty guitar tone. That stokes my stoke there, brah. Super clear, yet very warm, and crystalline top end. That's the stuff! Man, I can't wait, but I guess I have too, so I suppose I will.

What speaker is that?

And do you find that dirty side is just as juicy and complex??

Side note, Tom Waits, doesn't he live by you around Sebastopol? He did a few years ago, his kid was going to school with some friends of ours kid, and they would see him in the parking lot, big funky old Caddy, unshaven, being goofy, etc. Funny image.

6. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

The speaker is an AxeTrak. Normally I play thru an oversized semi-open 1-12 with a Cele Gold - serious yumminess clean and dirty either way. Mostly I play with the included A/B/Y with the clean for clean, and both channels (Y) together for grind, seldom dirty by itself because I mostly don't play that style. But for what it is, that side sounds great too.

Tom Waits is still there a couple of hours north in Sebastopol. I've never seen him live, but he is my hero.

7. Peter van Dorst

Peter van Dorst Member

Is there a way to get a slightly overdriven sound from the clean channel or do you think Ben can built it that way?

8. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Crank the clean channel it gets growly - not like the dirty channel, but definitely there's some grind in there.

9. joemesser

joemesser Member

Yes, exactly. A *slightly* overdriven sound when cranking the clean channel with my Blade pups (kind of like P-90's). Absolutely the most beautiful thing I've ever heard in an amp I've owned, I'm in love :crazy.

And there's no doubt Ben could give you more if you wanted.

10. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member