Fargo: Why did Jerry need the money?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by WBellman, May 30, 2019.

1. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

Oh man, the whole scene of her coming across the whole woodchipper incident to the end is freaking hilarious. It's not just the accent, it's the way she barrades him like a first grade teacher! Of course, I'm stating the obvious lol.

Vhy did he need a reason to want zee mooney? Everyone wants zee mooney, Lebooski, they want zee mooney. Then tomorrow, zey come back and zey cut off your johnson. And zen, zey step on it and sqvish it.

Haha, Lebowski is my favorite Coen Bros movie but Fargo a very close second. I haven't seen it very many times though, unlike Lebowski.

2. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I think Jerry wasn't a very good car salesman and was living a life designed to impress his father in law....he was deeeeeply in debt because of this and made drastic decisions to avoid being discovered.

There are many real life crimes that play out exactly this way...

Spooky Action likes this.
  3. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

Great movie!! A fews weeks ago I was driving to work in yhe morning listening to talk radio about a topic completely unrelated to the entertainment industry. A caller phones in from Fargo, North Dakota... The DJ somehow finds a way to relate the topic to the cold winters of North Dakota that he had witnessed in the movie... Long pause waiting for a reply.. "Yeah but you know we don't all talk like that!" :spit It was hysterical.

4. musekatcher

musekatcher Supporting Member

Living beyond his means, deep in debt, Jerry had defrauded GMAC with loans on fictional vehicles. Now desperate with GMAC closing in, he hatches the kidnap plan (also a kidnapping plot in The Big Lebowski btw) to raise money. The land deal seemed to be another desperate measure, to raise quick cash and resolve the issues with GMAC. Jerry revisits the plan after meeting with Showalter and Grimsrud, who both recommend he just ask his FIL for the money.

Interestingly, Marge is lecturing Grimsrud about the senselessness of crime for a little bit of money, but Jerry's greed and narcissism is what set everything in motion, from his loveless marriage, to his schemes and debt, to the kidnapping. Showalter and Grimsrud were perhaps corrupted by Jerry's plan and offer.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  5. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

"uuu yu becha!" as far as I could tell, it was all to cover the defrauding of GMAC. It was kinda like a large check kiting scheme. What had he done with that money though? $300k in debt - with his basic home and in the 80's that doesn't make sense to me.

6. MOJO

MOJO Member

I want to know who found the money at the spring thaw?

7. spunky

spunky Member

You will see who found the money...and what he does with it, when you watch the Fargo series they made a few years ago. An excellent answer to that burning question. Very satisfying.

8. hellbender

hellbender Member

"No Jean, no money"

direwolf likes this.
  9. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

He owed Jose Feliciano for a little of the old in and out.

10. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

To get his boyfriend a sex change operation.

Suave Eddie likes this.