Fasel Inductors

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Braciola, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Looking to upgrade the fasel inductor in my Wah.
    Since it seems Fulltone is no longer selling them, does anyone have any recommendations?

2. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

There's www.arielfx.com and www.wah-wah.co.uk
    Both make a Halo Inductor replica. arielfx is a new company, don't know anyone that's tried any of his stuff. wah-wah.co has been around for quite some time and Stuart Castledine has a good rep.

3. Braciola

Thank you, but one is in the UK and the other in Israel.
    I think shipping would cost more than the inductor :eek:

4. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

I don't think the shipping would be that bad. An inductor probably weighs no more than a few ounces. You could try www.area51.com I don't know if they offer their inductor for sale without the board. I've also heard good things about their work.

5. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

Hey, Dominick, I've been thinking about converting my plain ol' Crybaby to boutique specs, so I've been inductor shopping as well.

ArielFX looks pretty good - their halo replica is $28 and airmail shipping is only $4.30. Don't know how the halo sounds, but I'm gonna find out! I'm going to put it in a circuit where I can switch between the halo and a red Fasel. :dude

6. Braciola

Cool Ron,
    Let me know your findings after you install them.

7. rooster

rooster Member

If you haven't tried it yet, the yellow Fasel is pretty nice, too. The big thing is to get the right gains on the transistors; I've been using NTE123A's, and they work VERY well. Also, polystyrene caps for the .01uFs (available at Mouser for next-to-nothing) clear up the sound quite a bit, as do (OK, here's the severe overkill) paper-in-oil caps for the .22uF caps next to the pot.

rooster.

8. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

Thanks for the info. What gain range should I be looking for on my transistors?

9. rooster

rooster Member

I have it written down at home, but if you look at R.G. Keens geofex.com site, you will find all the info under "the technology of wah pedals." He wrote this up several years ago, and it is, IMO, unmatched as far as the working info on this circuit.

rooster.

10. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey AbbeSauniere,

Dan at Area 51 is offering the inductor for sale seperate from his circuit board. Contact him if you have questions.

Guitar George