• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fastening a torn apart bridge

Jens Erik

Hello, fellow guitarists,

I am teaching music at a lower secondary school, and some unknown pupils have "granted" me a guitar, torn-apart from its bridge (picture).

I have been searching the web for information on how to fix such a problem, but I haven't found a case as extreme as this.

I've tried a variant of Epoxy, but it didn't resist the pressure of the strings, and I've thought about hide glue as an alternative, but I don't know if it will do it in such a rough case.

Does anybody have any advice? I will surely appreciate it =)

Jens Erik

Oldschool59

Hi Jens,

Welcome to TGP. I'm no luthier, but for problems like these, it is important to «prepare» both surfaces, by removing any adherent, glue, etc. Stewmac provide good tutorial here:

I also suggest you move this to the appropriate forum, the luthier section. Good luck!

Jens Erik

Thank you for the warm welcome and good advice! And yes; I should have postet this in the luthier section, but how do I do that? =)

Jens Erik

Chris Pile

Hide glue is a traditional luthiers glue going back to Antonio Stradivari and the rest of the guys in Cremona, Italy.
Epoxy will creep. Not recommended.

Oldschool59

Thank you for the warm welcome and good advice! And yes; I should have postet this in the luthier section, but how do I do that? =)

Jens Erik
No sweat, Jens, my pleasure. Chris Pile makes a very good point with respect to the glue. Epoxy is not recommended. A hide glue repair will simply not fail at the same spot again: it's that solid.

As to how to move your post to the appropriate forum, ask one of the mods for assistance, they will surely help.

Cheers.

Trending Topics