Fastest Honeymoon then out the door.

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by DWB1960, Aug 4, 2006.

1. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

What was the guitar that you gassed over, bought, loved, then the honeymoon quickly faded and you sold it in record time?

I have 3.

Suhr Standard - beautiful and incredible action and craftmanship but we just didn't bond.

Vigier Shawn Lane Model - Again, a superb guitar that didn't last.

Brian Moore C90 - Built for speed but not much else IMO.

2. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

A pre-buzz feiten Anderson Drop Top with the funky switching system. In and out.

But by far the worst was a Bad Cat Hot Cat 100 head that I never even took out of the box (the band I was in that I intended to use it for dissolved before I had a chance to put it through its paces).

3. Ogre

Ogre Member

Anderson Cobra- Looked great, played great, but blah tone.

4. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Anderson Hollow T. The fit and finish on the guitar were top notch. Didn't sound bad either. However, I really did not dig the '62 roundback neck on it - much smaller than I thought it was when I played it in the store.

I always felt like my left hand was cramped when I played that guitar. I traded it straight-up to a store for an amp. Didn't lose any dough, because I originally bought it at cost from a store that discontinued carrying Andersons.

5. JoeinLA

JoeinLA Member

Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Meh. Gibson's are overrated and overpriced.

6. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

I wouldnt say anything went straight out the door......but I have gone through a PRS Santana 3, a Santana 2, an 88 original cu24.......just couldnt bond with PRS.....also went through 2 mcnaughts....absolutely love the fit and finish, the neck......just couldnt get the tones in my head out of them.

7. clarkram

clarkram Member

a PRS HB ll, nice guitar, I just didn't like it.

8. Chris T

Chris T Member

McInturff Glory Custom. Looked like heaven-sounded lifeless and dull.

9. Srini

Srini Guest

Valley Arts Larry Carlton signtaure model (#12/100) - beautifully made, but the neck was tiny, and I hated the P90 tone...I basically hated the guitar.

Srini

10. pesocaster

pesocaster Member

Any of the dozzen Les Pauls I've owned over the last 25 years.... Keep thinking I NEED one find a great one ... buy it.... grow to hate everything but the look and the sound.... sell it.... Rinse and repeat...

Oh and the fastest was a top notch Godin somethingerother Dug it in the store... took it to rehearsal... took it back the next day....

11. Beergoblin

Beergoblin Member

PRS Standard 24. Built to perfection but sounded absolutely lack luster, even after a pickup swap. I sold it to buy something. In hindsight I miss it and would liked to have kept it for the different feel, but ultimately I tired of the sound WAY too quickly.

12. photoguy

photoguy Member

Rickenbacker 360-12 in FireGlo. Had to send it out within the first few days to get the string spacing set differently than stock just so I could play the thing. Never really formed a bond with this particular guitar and quickly put it on ebay. It found a new home where it was more appreciated. I've since picked up an inexpensive Yamaha Pacifica 12 string that suits me better for my 12 string needs.

13. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Where in Mass you at? I lived in Methuen my first 37 years.

14. photoguy

photoguy Member

Donnie- My studio is in Boston, but home is the "North Shore".

15. Josh O

Josh O Member

I have to say I had the same experience with mine. Thing looked sweet as could be but I just didn't click with it tonally, it was actually my first TCM I sold.

16. sinner

sinner Member

Bought 3 different Fender CS Relic Strats, all went back (bad neck pocket gaps; thin neck).

Then I special ordered a Teambuilt Strat, waited 9 months for it; sold it immediately.

Moral: I finally ended up with 2 CS Strat keeps (and a Nocaster) but it took a while for me (and them) to get it right--it was worth it!

17. Nitefly182

Nitefly182 Member

Is that the one at atomic in rockville now?

18. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Gibson LP Standard. I like the tone, but it just feels like an uncomfortable chunk of wood.

19. Quinny

Quinny Member

PRS Modern Eagle. Got a great deal on one so thought I'd check it out in the assurance I'd break even passing it on. Fell in love with it, but passed it on after a month or so. Discovered the wonderful world of Heatley not long after so glad I didn't keep it, most PRS seem terribly ordinary by comparison, including my beloved ex-ME.

Q.

20. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

SRV Strat. Beautiful finish, nice neck, but tonally not happening. Out the
    door. Replaced with a 98 Relic modded by Suhr, fat tone for days.