Faston male adapters??

conrad79

Hi everyone, I just picked up an old Altec speaker, which has the screw-type terminal posts as opposed to the fast-on "spade connectors" which my current speaker and cab are set up for.

Ideally I'd like to get some adapters that I can use to try out this speaker - one end would be male fast-on, the other end would just be wire that I could strip and install in the Altec. That way I wouldn't have to cut my existing cab wiring.

I would assume such a thing would be relatively easy to find but Google has not been kind to me :( anyone got a source for such a thing?

Thanks!

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
It's actually pretty simple, the male part of the spade connector (the spade if you will, like the speaker terminal) will be called a crimp-on connector. You'll need those, a crimper to attach them to wire, two short pieces of wire and a wire stripper or knife to remove the insulation on the ends of the wire. You strip the insulation back 1 cm on the speaker end and 1/2 cm on the connector end, crimp the connector onto the wire then attach wire to screw down terminals and spades into their respective brackets. The big problem will by prying the spades OUT of the connectors after.

A better solution, if the speaker cable plugs into a jack on the amp, would be to make a new speaker cable with bare wire on one end and plug on the other.

If the speaker is hard wired to the chassis then the better choice would be to cut the spade connectors off and attach a female 1/4" jack to the wires (you gotta solder for that one) then make one speaker cable with spade connectors/1/4" jack and one with bare wires/1/4" jack to use with the different speakers.

conrad79

Thanks.....I think the best solution for me would be to simply make my own connectors as you describe, with bare wire at one end and the male crimp-on at the other.

Trending Topics