Fat Boost v. SD Pickup Booster

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Conner, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Conner

Conner Member

I'm using a fat boost at the moment, and I like it, but would love it if I could get just a bit more gain out of it. It's an older model that has the large volume and tone knobs, and the small gain knob.

Can anybody give a comparo of the fat boost against the pickup booster? Does the PB have more gain?

abnerfm likes this.
  2. JPenn

JPenn Member

The SD Booster is more of a volume boost, no gain control, The switch is cool though, it'll fatten up a bridge single.

abnerfm likes this.
  3. Conner

Conner Member

Right on. Thanks for saving me some money.

abnerfm likes this.
  4. JPenn

JPenn Member

No problem, I only charge 15%!!:D

abnerfm likes this.
  5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

The one thing I didnt like about the SD Booster is at minimum volume it is still 6db which can be to much boost in the wrong set up.

If your looking for more gain (I'm assuming you mean overdrive) then you should try a mild OD pedal so you can add whet ever gain you need, There are a lot of choices.

abnerfm likes this.
  6. Conner

Conner Member

Yeah, I guess it would be in the mild overdrive category. I'm having some GAS, or as my wife calls it, the "me wanties" for an LTD or a Direct Drive.

Add that to the already existing GAS for a Ge booster, any and every Euthymia pedal, and a D*A*M Tonebender/Supa fuzz, and you get where I am right now.

7. JPenn

JPenn Member

Conner I have a Direct Drive that a buddy of mine is selling. I brought it home to check out through my Deluxe. If you're interested in it email me at jasonpenn_2003@yahoo.com and I'll fwd the email to him.

8. 6789

6789 Member

If you power your Fatboost with 18 volts the amount of signal boost increases a lot compared to using 9 volts.

abnerfm likes this.
  9. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Even cheaper. . . see if you can locate a regulated 200ma "center negative" adapter that runs at 4-6- volts and that should give you enough gain (I was runnng mine with a Pedal Power 2 powersupply at under 9v and it added some nice low level clipping.

Brett

abnerfm likes this.
  10. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Well there are a couple of pedals that are available that contain most of those tones. The tonefactor Hellbilly ($99) is a Ge/Si hybrid fuzz pedal that blends a treble booster with a Fuzzface circuit. Do a search - its very popular. Also the tonefactor hellbaby ($99) is a clean boost with a gain knob that can do mild OD. There is also the xotic RC booster ($175) which is a clean boost with a gain knob as well as bass and treble controls.

11. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

LTD"s nice. A little bit more compression than the FatBoost (read a little bit less dynamic response than the more open FatBoost), and definitely less bottom end, but the LTD will give you the drive characteristics of the FatBoost at 9v, at less than 9v, and more. For that low gain stuff, I tend to like the LTD (at higher voltage) a little bit better, but the FatBoost run after other drive pedals really makes them more aggressive. Actually, the LTD and FatBoost together should be a nice combination. I haven't tried that combination yet, but I definitely will have to.

Brett

abnerfm likes this.
  12. Conner

Conner Member

Thanks for the insight all. I'm going to do some voltage experiments. Does Fuller still sell those bi-battery adapters? I'd prefer to continue to use a battery instead of a wall wart, but will make the switch if the sound is right.

fr8- I've been thinking hard about the Tonefactor pedals, but I'm not much of a buy w/out testing kinda guy. The praise may warrant it, though.

BV-Right now I'm running a pretty average DOD EQ set for a little mid-boost before the FatBoost, and it gets even more opened up. If you have an EQ pedal lyin around, give it a whirl. I have an old EH LPB2 that I tried in front of it, but the compression it had squashed me in the mix. I never use it anymore, I should probably sell it.

abnerfm likes this.
  13. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I've got an old MXR 10 band graphic eq lying raound somewhere. I'll try it with the FB and see what I get. Thanks for the tip.

Brett

abnerfm likes this.
  14. abnerfm

abnerfm Member

Wouldn't it harm the pedal?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  15. abnerfm

abnerfm Member

I had both, the Fat Boost provides more of what he is/was looking for

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  16. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Member

I did a slight easy diy mod of a iirc reverse linear taper 50k pot...so there is very little db bump. I like it for fattening up and getting into hb territory for a sss strat copy of a redone mia peveay predator

another great pedal for a lot of stuff....would be vfe rocket parametric eq

abnerfm likes this.